RIP Anthony Bourdain

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
DDD is greatness. Back when I traveled alot for work tv foodmaps filtered to his show was very useful

He did get Hulabaloo Diner wrong. That place is disgusting

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
I'm incredibly bummed about Bourdain. I can count the celebrities that I enjoy listening to on one hand and he was on that list. Tragic. It makes no sense. He was such a man.

Unfortunately we will most likely have no idea what demons he was dealing with. Hopefully he just fucked up an auto-erotic asphyxiation masturbation session.....

I feel bad for his kid, not for him.

Some Dude

Feb 12, 2009
Boise, ID
“I should’ve died in my 20s. I became successful in my 40s. I became a dad in my 50s. I feel like I’ve stolen a car — a really nice car — and I keep looking in the rearview mirror for flashing lights. But there’s been nothing yet.” - Bourdain.

RIP ya old pirate.

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
I can't believe we're talking about Bourdain and Fieri in the same thread. Fieri is a hack.

Agreed. Fieri should be working a cheap pirate merchandise booth at a carnival. I am not sure why Fieri even came up here, he is by no means on the same level as some of the other chefs. At least bring up Ramsay, Samuellson, Ripert, etc. for comparison.

mjbrox

Jun 30, 2008
Golden CO
I always thought he was one of the coolest mother fuckers on the planet.

He seemed to relate to anyone and everyone. Maybe it was the show editing but he seemed to genuinely like people and their culture

This little story is really cool
https://people.com/food/marilyn-hagerty-remembers-anthony-bourdain/

He has ton of bad ass quotes but I think this deserves a read

"Assume the worst. About everybody. But don't let this poisoned outlook affect your job performance. Let it all roll off your back. Ignore it. Be amused by what you see and suspect. Just because someone you work with is a miserable, treacherous, self-serving, capricious, and corrupt asshole shouldn't prevent you from enjoying their company, working with them, or finding them entertaining."

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
I always thought he was one of the coolest mother fuckers on the planet.

He seemed to relate to anyone and everyone. Maybe it was the show editing but he seemed to genuinely like people and their culture

This little story is really cool
https://people.com/food/marilyn-hagerty-remembers-anthony-bourdain/

He has ton of bad ass quotes but I think this deserves a read

"Assume the worst. About everybody. But don't let this poisoned outlook affect your job performance. Let it all roll off your back. Ignore it. Be amused by what you see and suspect. Just because someone you work with is a miserable, treacherous, self-serving, capricious, and corrupt asshole shouldn't prevent you from enjoying their company, working with them, or finding them entertaining."

Agreed. I personally do not think he was acting or it was the editing part, especially after reading Kitchen Confidential. He seemed to embrace what life has given him and he seemed pretty down to earth in his shows. Some try too hard but I did not get that feel from him at all. I also did not think that he had an agenda other than having honest conversations with people all over.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Still waiting for blood results I guess, seems like a long, long time. I bet there are drugs involved.

I do not feel sorry at all for someone, especially Bourdain who takes his own life.

I feel for his family.

I've eaten at a lot of places where Bourdain has, Zimmern too. All over Asia, US, EU. Both have excellent tastes in food with a few exceptions. If Zimmern does not like it, chances you won't either.

For the record, there is no reason to eat rat or guinea pig. If in Peru go for the alpaca.

Drillbit

Oct 12, 2005
Glasgow Ky
For the record, there is no reason to eat rat or guinea pig. If in Peru go for the alpaca.

I didn?t care for the Alpaca. I liked Guinea pig better but it might be because we eat squirrels in Kentucky. At a steak house In La Paz the served me cow udder as an appetizer. That was disgusting.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
I didn?t care for the Alpaca. I liked Guinea pig better but it might be because we eat squirrels in Kentucky. At a steak house In La Paz the served me cow udder as an appetizer. That was disgusting.
You eat rats & squirrels, but find cow tit disgusting?
huh.
too gummy?

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
Why would I eat squirrels, rats or pigeons? Cow tongue is good, so are oyesters, but I have to draw the line somewhere. I am happy with a good steak, chicken, bbq, etc.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
Jules: Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.

Vincent: Bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood.

Jules: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker. Pigs sleep and root in shit. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got sense enough to disregard its own feces.

Vincent: How about a dog? Dogs eats its own feces.

Jules: I don't eat dog either.

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
How do you decide where to draw the line?

Just personal preferences. Not saying I would not try something different, but pigeons to me are way dirtier than pigs for example. I do love me some ribs and pulled pork of course. Did have some questionable bush meat in Africa, but when other options are available, I'd rather stick with those. Although I still loove pepper soup. No telling wtf went into that in Monrovia but it was damn good. Made some from scratch in Cestos City with fresh caught fish and it was damn good.

JUKE179r

Sep 14, 2016
Suffolkshire, UK
I ate small dog when I was stationed in Korea.
It was a little ruff.

Ba dump, bump... kshhhhhhhhhhh
Thank you ladies and germs. I'll be here all week. Be sure to tip your waiter.