Gun 'style' in the media

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Well written. What do you say to those who support specific ban of automatic weapons, and no more?

I think a ban of automatic weapons is essentially meaningless. They are already effectively banned. The ones existing in circulation are already so regulated and difficult to obtain that I don't think mass-murderers are in pool of potential customers.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
I think a ban of automatic weapons is essentially meaningless. They are already effectively banned. The ones existing in circulation are already so regulated and difficult to obtain that I don't think mass-murderers are in pool of potential customers.

No shit. Pretend it's Sept 12, 1994. People are calling for a specific ban. What do you have to say?

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap

No shit. Pretend it's Sept 12, 1994. People are calling for a specific ban. What do you have to say?

or read it as "What do you say to those who support specific ban of (insert criteria) weapons, and no more?"

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Well written. What do you say to those who support specific ban of automatic weapons, and no more?

Why would anyone want to do that?

For all intents and purposes they are banned, you can only buy pre 1986 automatic weapons, once you are authorized by the Government via a Tax Stamp to do so, and then if you can find one and spend the $20,000 or so it would take to buy one since they're now in extremely limited supply.

I also can't find where they've ever been used in a mass shooting and since 1934 there are only two verified instances of a legally owned machine gun (automatic weapon) used in a homicide. One was a police officer committing a murder of an informant.

I fail to see what all the effort and whatnot involved in even attempting to ban automatic weapons would achieve.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
I'm sorry Eric this makes no sense. Public opinion trumps common sense justification? Surely I'm reading you wrong.

I wasn't justifying the opinion or inviting debate, just summarizing how I see the state of public opinion and why gun classification technicalities are irrelevant to it. Basically, yes it's emotional.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ

I don't see where you're going with this....what did the assault weapons ban have to do with automatic weapons? I don't recall all the specifics but wasn't the '94 AWB fairly limited in scope and only dealt with so-called "assault" semi-auto pistols and rifles (and our favorite: pistol magazine capacity)? Did the AWB make any material changes to previous legislation regarding automatic weapons? I don't think so....therefore my previously stated opinion would be unchanged.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
or read it as "What do you say to those who support specific ban of (insert criteria) weapons, and no more?"

To speak to your clarification above, I'd still say a specific ban of (insert criteria) weapons is essentially meaningless.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I just wanted to recognize your patience and measured response. Goodness....

Until he has a basic understanding of the firearm industry and community, we cannot assume he understands anything we say, nor can we assume he means what he says. As such, debate is impossible.

It's not an insulting response. It's an accurate response. We should be more than willing to debate anyone who wishes it; but we cannot debate someone who cannot participate from a position of at least elementary education on the matter.

It's like trying to debate illegal aliens with someone who insists flying saucers shouldn't be allowed to land.

It's pointless, and a complete waste of time.

Cheers,

Kennith

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN

Once again, your loose use of language (aka, wrong) leads to a misunderstanding of what is (proposed by you) banned.

You say "automatic weapons." Well, what you mean is "semi-automatic." Because that is what the '94 AWB was - a ban on certain semi-auto rifles.

Full auto rifles (aka, automatic weapons) were banned in 1986.

So you are talking about banning something that's been banned since 1986 and are asking everyone why they aren't on board with that. We are.

But when you ask about semi-auto, and we tell you there is no functional difference between what is proposed to be banned and what is not, your response is, "Well, they look bad, so ban them." To which we say, GFY.

This is why when you want to ban something, you damn well better know what you are talking about and describing. "You know what I mean" doesn't cut it.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Once again, your loose use of language (aka, wrong) leads to a misunderstanding of what is (proposed by you) banned.

You say "automatic weapons." Well, what you mean is "semi-automatic." Because that is what the '94 AWB was - a ban on certain semi-auto rifles.

Full auto rifles (aka, automatic weapons) were banned in 1986.

So you are talking about banning something that's been banned since 1986 and are asking everyone why they aren't on board with that. We are.

But when you ask about semi-auto, and we tell you there is no functional difference between what is proposed to be banned and what is not, your response is, "Well, they look bad, so ban them." To which we say, GFY.

This is why when you want to ban something, you damn well better know what you are talking about and describing. "You know what I mean" doesn't cut it.

That's why I told him to come back once he educates himself. It's a waste of time otherwise.

Cheers,

Kennith

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
As I said:

For many I believe its more about the monster's delusion, the image, the fantasy and disabling it. Does removing access to a critical accessory one needs to complete their intimidating soldier image prevent them from carrying out fantasies in that image? Does it prevent most, a few, none?

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
blablabla

You're way off. Blue spoke to those supporting a blanket ban. I was asking for his thoughts on those who wish to ban specific classes of weapons. Automatics were an example of a specific class of weapons. You got confused because they're already banned and I fucked up the date (86, not 94). He answered that any ban of any class of weapon is "meaningless". Done.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
You're way off. Blue spoke to those supporting a blanket ban. I was asking for his thoughts on those who wish to ban specific classes of weapons. Automatics were an example of a specific class of weapons. You got confused because they're already banned and I fucked up the date (86, not 94). He answered that any ban of any class of weapon is "meaningless". Done.

Nope. You need to walk off and learn a few things, too. Debating with you as well is pointless at this time.

We can't educate and debate at the same time. Nobody knows whether you understand things or not.

So, go hang out in the FAQ section on a few firearm sites, join up and tell them you'd like to know what's what. They'll be more than happy to help out. Once you know what you're talking about, pop back over and we'll have a discussion.

Until then, it's just a pointless circle-jerk, and you're the pivot man.

Cheers,

Kennith