D1 pulling to left

Johnaddalia

Mar 29, 2018
New Jersey
I'm having trouble getting my D1 in alignment. She has a pull to the left that has gotten worse and has a wobble.
Here's what I have done: front hub bearings (they were worn). Left and right track arm ball joints (where very loose)New steering dampener. Computerized front end alignment that they said she was within the "green". Rotated the tires in every possible way. I've conceded that the tires that I did purchase used have a bit to do with the wobble, but it didn't start out this bad. They are GoodYear 265/70 r16 that I fit on after a 2" spacer lift (the good metal ones from Atlantic British). The steering wheel did clock to the left a little after the lift that I did last July. I'm puzzled guys, what else shy of purchasing new tires (that ain't gonna happen right now) can I do to straighten her out? Thanks

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Simple things first:

- does it always pull to the left, or only upon acceleration or braking? If so, look for worn trailing/radius arms bushings.

- put the front axle on jackstands and start the engine; do the front wheels turn to the left without you doing anything? If so, you need a steering box rebuild.

If you're here, and it always pulls to the left, check if the left-side rear trailing arm is straight.
If it is straight, look for seized left side brake calipers.

If you are certain that none are seized or dragging, you may have bent frame axle brackets. Not much you can do about it, however, you can remove the left rear trailing arm (rear axle), and put a 1/8"-thick washer between the frame bracket and the arm (making the arm effectively 1/8" longer). If it still pulls to the left, you can attempt doing the same thing with the left front radius arm.

If you're here and at the end of your wits, I'm right here with you, going to the same asylum.

Johnaddalia

Mar 29, 2018
New Jersey
Thanks,
It doesn't pull when accelerating or braking. I checked all 4 calipers and hubs with a thermal imaging camera and they're all ok. The steering box is tight, but I'll check to see if it drifts. I'll also check the radius arms. Just don't know how they would have gotten bent. I haven't done any heavy 4 wheeling.....????

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
I have to add... The first time I was puzzled about this, I was advised to swap the front tires left to right. Lo and behold, the pull vanished.
Then I bent the tie rod, replaced it, aligned the wheels dead-center... and the pull was back with a vengeance. No swapping the front tires, or rear to the front, or whatever, helped it.

I measured very carefully distances hub-to-hub, left and right side, and they are the same to the limit of tape measure's precision.

So, short of bent axle housings, I don't know what to blame.

Johnaddalia

Mar 29, 2018
New Jersey
Ok, brought her into the shop today. All the suspension parts are good, the radius arm bushings are ok, not great, but in tact. I'm going to conclude that the tires are going bad. Even though there is still tread, with only a little dry rot, I think there's something bad on the inside of them. Gonna have to save up for a new set. Now here's the next thing...... If I'm gonna buy new tires.... Might as well go bigger... �� Thanks for everyone's help.