Neutral Safety Switch Bypass

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
The following mod is insanely easy and bypasses your neutral safety switch and cruise control safety switch on a 94-99 Discovery I in case your switch has failed, or you're converting an auto to a 5 speed.

All that needs to be done is the grounding of the orange/black wire going into the 2nd relay in on the passenger footwell. You'll use a scotch connector, do not cut the wire.

Photo below, ground that wire to that bolt -
CRT7jYN.jpg

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
Basically it prevents you from starting the car if it doesn't see a signal from the transmission being in park.

Buying a new switch would not help when converting to a 5 speed.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
what does a neutral safety switch do? How does it keep me safe?

It keeps you from starting the vehicle with it in drive. If you left your truck in drive (without the safety switch) and reached in to start it, it would drive away. I know of at least two LR techs that have smashed their tool boxes with 5 speed Discos.

Milan

Aug 6, 2004
That's the thing. How did we get by without such switch?? :D :D Sometimes it's good to be able to start in gear.

number9

Nov 21, 2015
Coastal Georgia
Sometimes it's good to be able to start in gear.
Can be handy on a standard trans. Had a Volvo wagon built prior to the regs for the switch. Clutch fork bent & unable to disengage clutch. Drove for a couple of weeks. Cranked starter in 1st to get moving, carefully shift though gears. Neutral approaching stops. Shut off engine, place in 1st and crank. Replace clutch and fork at the earliest opportunity. Helped being in VA Beach as opposed to W VA.