Recovering Disco 2 seats

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
I need to recover the drivers seat bottom on mine, its getting tatty and worn.

I thought Exmoore Trim had recovering kits for a D2, but only have the cushions. (which are way cheaper on amazon than at RN)

Does anyone know of a place that sells recovering kits for a D2?

Thanks,

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
I looked at L-seat but decided to have mine made locally. (same price although I just recovered the seat bottoms)

I called my local indy shop and asked for a referral to an upholsterer.

JohnB

Oct 18, 2007
Oregon
Bet a pro like Will can slip the covers off and you can put them on your seat without removing the seats. The problem is in the removal those little plastic gates are brittle and break easy when removing from a seat base.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Those plastic anchors suck dog balls. The long front piece that anchors the front side of the bottom cushions snapped years ago on each of my front seats. Now the seat bottoms are free to flop up. My driver's seat is cracking a bit (I have the rubber SD seats). I want to get both fronts reupholstered in a rip-stop nylon but I can't find anyone local to do it. Everyone around here is all about the finest soft, Corinthian leather. That L-seat link is interesting. Anyone have any experience with them? I wonder how they fit....do they have full backs as well and just slip over the seat back?

Dave03S

Jun 22, 2012
Seattle, Wa
The broken plastic fastener for the front and back of the seat bottom upholstery is called a J hook. You can get replacement ones cheap in either metal or plastic. Just fold the material over the edge of the frame and put the fastener over top of it.

BigLouAamich

Mar 30, 2014
Burke Virginia
I taught myself how to sew. Unstitched the upholstery on my Disco 1 when I had it. Used the pieces to make patterns then used those to make new upholstery. Wasn't really that hard at all. Comes in handy now. I did custom upholstery for my 67 mustang and just recovered my sons Wrangler seats.

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
BigLou, did you need a special sewing machine to get through the thicker materials? Or just a robust needle on a 'standard' machine?

Stickbow

Aug 28, 2018
GA
BigLou, did you need a special sewing machine to get through the thicker materials? Or just a robust needle on a 'standard' machine?

If you were using leather or any heavy fabric, or putting special seams, you'd want a heavy duty walking foot seam. If just making covers (vs. replacement seat upholstery) a medium weight machine would work.

Interested to hear what BigLou used though.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
I requested a couple leather samples from Lseat.com. My driver's seat cushion in the D2 is worn and cracking like everyone else's. My other car also has worn through the driver's side seat bolster. They sent a nice little booklet with all the samples. The leather is OK....not the thickest, most luxurious stuff but seems to be OK for $300.

Stickbow

Aug 28, 2018
GA
I'd like to find a place to get just the bottom part of the seat - everything else is nearly perfect (could use a good cleaning), but the drivers' lower is worn and has a huge rip.

TBH, I can probably get the local upholstery shop to do a halfway match of just that, and I'm not all that concerned that it match perfectly. I'm just super cheap :)

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Hell, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. My drivers side seat bottom is the only part that needs attention too.

Stickbow

Aug 28, 2018
GA
It's a heavy duty Singer. Not industrial but more solid than a typical machine. Cheap also.

Best suggestion I can make is to try it on some samples before investing in the full leather for your seat.

That's how I found out my 50 year old White machine would sew marine canvas - with tweaking of the bobbin tension.

You'll need the right needle and thread, of course.