Uwharrie Trip Report Spring 04

D

Dan Ratcliffe

Trip Report Uwharrie
I was able to bag them all; Falls Dam, Saw Mill, Rocky Mount Loop, Slab Pile, Wolf Den, Dutch John, Dickey Bell and Daniel.

Before you read any farther, please note that these trails were dry. All of the trails become much more difficult if they are wet.

I drove Falls Dam up hill.
Wolf?s Den and part of Slab Pile both ways.
Daniel west to east to just beyond the now none existent crack. And the entire trail east to west.
Dickey Bell from north to south.
Dutch John West to east, up the long hill.
Rocky mount both ways up to Kodak rock. Many of the people at Kodak rock were still there after I drove Saw Mill, Slab Pile, Wolf Den, Dutch John and climbing Rocky Mount from the southern entrance, about 1.5 hours.

Here?s what I would suggest.
If you have a low level tolerance for breaking something, or scratching the paint, or are a new driver, Falls Dam, (the huge holes have been filled) Wolf?s Den, and Slab Pile are safe for new drivers or really good drivers who just don?t want to risk any damage. Any of the other trails might prove to stressful to stay fun.

If you don?t mind losing a bumper end cap, a dent in the muffler, possible a pinched tire or a dinged rim, then all of the above trails with Saw Mill and the portion of Rocky Mount loop from 553 to Sawmill would be fine. There is a work around at the top of the long climb on this northern section of the Rocky Mount loop that makes easy work of the rock pile found there. I would not try the Kodak rock side of Rocky Mount, going either way, unless you are willing to risk bumping a tree. I think most people, with guidance would make it down ok, but smacking a tree makes for a bad time. Over all these trails with good spotting, good line advice and a nice piece of luck, could be driven with out any damage. Just recognize the risk potential.

Dickey Bell, Dutch John and Daniel should not be driven by any one that is not very experienced and who has little tolerance for damage. Don?t misunderstand; I have led folks with no experience in completely stock vehicles on those trails with out any damage. Many of those folks have, after driving them, told me they would rather not drive those trails again, the stress of working over the rocks just took the fun out of it. I must also say that I was always amazed at how lucky I was with those trips.

Any body going near Kodak Rock on Rocky Mount should be prepared to sit there for up to an hour while every one and their brother tries to climb that rock. It?s a pretty boring scene after about five minutes.

If you an experienced driver, it is easy, depending on traffic, to bag all of the trails in 4 and one half hours. That is a nice piece of driving and quite fun.

Good luck and have fun

Apexdisco

Apr 20, 2004
Castle Rock, CO
Yeah, thanks Dan.

I find the trails much more enjoyable when they are dry. Got my fingers crossed that rain stays away this weekend.

Also, for those who don't know; the Ranger station and a select few stores in the area are the only places to obtain a OHV park pass.

Call 910-576-6391 (Uwharrie Ranger Station) to find out the exact locations.

Post here if you happen to know.

Last edited:

Discojunky

Apr 20, 2004
Greenville SC
Passes?

I hope they are included with the package. Did you sign up with CROC or are you showing up as a non-member? Passes!? We don't need no stinkin' passes!

Leslie

Apr 28, 2004
Kingsport TN
dust

Uwharrie is funny. It was hot and dry this year. Last year it was wet and cold, like driving in Crisco. The year before, it was dry then, too (though not as dusty as this past weekend). Year before that was cool and damp.

Made the wife drive a lot. She's getting better. Never gonna be a CT champ, lol, but, she's not going to be a mall-crawling soccer-mom who doesn't realize the capabilities of her Disco.....

-L

knebusch

Banned
Apr 20, 2004
Charlotte, NC
www.gcvalves.com
Yeah, I wanted to meet you Leslie and you Aaron. I came by once Aaron but you were out getting breakfast.

Leslie,

My wife drove the trails all morning and I finally got the truck back in the afternoon!

Sorry I missed you guys,

Ken

draaronr

Apr 20, 2004
wilmington, nc
Yeah that's what my friends said Ken. I saw you in your disco, but you were leaving the camp at the time. I had a blast this year. The dust made driving the county roads dangerous, but the trails were an absolute blast.