Turner Engineering Questions

SLloyd

Mar 2, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Does anyone have any opinions on the Turner Engineering High Performance Engine and/or head that is sold by Rovers North? I'm getting ready to do a major renovation to my Series and am looking at way to give more power, especially mid range and top end as I will be on highways a decent amount.

Thanks.

landrvrnut21

Jul 31, 2005
Akron, OH
www.geocities.com
Honestly, I am happy with just a stock 2.25L. If you really think you need more power, I would consider the Robert Davis conversion. It uses the GM Iron Duke (2.6L, 2.8L, something like that) engine. It is a whole kit, and can be done in a long weekend with no modifications to the truck. Plus, parts are available anywhere. I think the Turner 2.25L are a bit steep $$$ for the performance you get. Plus, I have heard that they are not as reliable as a stock 2.25L, and the stock motor will run and perform, when any other engine would die.

I know of one 2.25L that ran for 3 years with no oil pressue. And another with the dizzy 180 degrees off. Any other engine would have died long before these examples.

Fitting 235/85R16 tires, and an overdrive of some kind to a stock truck, and you have a pretty good highway cruiser capable of 65mph all day.

Offroad, there is no reason to have more power than the 2.25L can offer. You end up with lots of broken bits, and not much to show for it, (without major upgrades).

My truck has a Ford 2.8L V6, and while I didnt do the conversion, it does have nice power, and great performance. The added power is great, and the torque curve is awesome. But I enjoy driving a stock 2.25L too.

Thats my opinion on it.

Crazy Fish

Aug 6, 2004
I bought a Turner directly from Turner. It's nice. It's fine. It's still a 2 1/4. It's better than the slowly dying engine I took out. humm, that didn't sound great...

I like it alot. It's not a race engine. Call Frida at Turner and ask questions, they are straight forward and honest. I've had it a year and no complaints.

SLloyd

Mar 2, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Hey Crazy, if you had a decent performing 2.25, do you think the Turner is a worthwhile investment? Or would the difference be nominal? I'm trying to make this as reliable a daily driver that I can.

E

EricSiepmann

landrvrnut21 said:
Honestly, I am happy with just a stock 2.25L. If you really think you need more power, I would consider the Robert Davis conversion. It uses the GM Iron Duke (2.6L, 2.8L, something like that) engine. It is a whole kit, and can be done in a long weekend with no modifications to the truck. Plus, parts are available anywhere. I think the Turner 2.25L are a bit steep $$$ for the performance you get. Plus, I have heard that they are not as reliable as a stock 2.25L, and the stock motor will run and perform, when any other engine would die.

I know of one 2.25L that ran for 3 years with no oil pressue. And another with the dizzy 180 degrees off. Any other engine would have died long before these examples.

Fitting 235/85R16 tires, and an overdrive of some kind to a stock truck, and you have a pretty good highway cruiser capable of 65mph all day.

Offroad, there is no reason to have more power than the 2.25L can offer. You end up with lots of broken bits, and not much to show for it, (without major upgrades).

My truck has a Ford 2.8L V6, and while I didnt do the conversion, it does have nice power, and great performance. The added power is great, and the torque curve is awesome. But I enjoy driving a stock 2.25L too.

Thats my opinion on it.

The stock 2.25 and the turner are nearly identical. The head is gasflowed and has some upgrades from stock like newer valve guides. The ACR is the purported unreliable engine.

Performes and is as reliable as a stock.

When did RN start carrying Turner? I always thought they did their own engine based off of a reman'd military unit? AB has Turner. . .

EwS

S

syoung

I'd think the chance to run an 'iron duke' engine would be VERY compelling. Those really are decent engines and cheap and easy to find parts. It's the same 4 banger that was used in Jeeps and really are surprisingly powerful- but not TOO much.
I'm considering a GM 3.4 60 degree V6 in the 109, with Chevy S10 Blazer trans and x-fer case. Helps that I already have the engine with Edelbrock intake and ProJection EFI from another project... It seems it would be a good fit as well. The engines are available straight from GM for under $2K complete minus induction system w/ warranty. About 180HP without performance mods.

Ron

Jun 15, 2004
Main Line
If you are spending any money get a used 200TDi out of a D90.

That is the only conversion that is really worth it.

Ron

landrvrnut21

Jul 31, 2005
Akron, OH
www.geocities.com
syoung said:
The engines are available straight from GM for under $2K complete minus induction system w/ warranty. About 180HP without performance mods.

$2K!!!! I can buy a Cummins 4bt for that! And I think thats what Robert Davis charges for his conversion kit, which is complete with wiring, clutch, motor mounts etc. Matter of fact, for $2k, I can get a 300tdi shipped reman from the UK.

Crazy Fish

Aug 6, 2004
I wanted a 2 1/4 like original. I wanted like new. I didn't want to revist the engine in the next 10 years. I went to Turner and could not believe how techy they were. How careful. So, my point is, I'm very happy with it, it's just still a slightly improved 2 1/4. Don't buy it for the added horsepower ( there is a bit ). I just wanted an original style motor keeping with what I am slowly replacing ( like every part!). Long hills still make it slow down, but I love what it is.

I paid $200 bucks to get it over here on our club container to Avondale, PA. I think the total bill was around $2200 at that time ( year and a half ago )

I wouldn't change a thing.

S

syoung

But that GM engine would have a 2 year warranty and can get parts at ANY backwoods store. I'd like a TDI, but I haven't seen good prices on them.

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I drove 88's for years with stock 2.25's. I was never inclined to replace them, except with a diesel. In a 109 it's a different story.
The stock engine is a tough engine. I've driven an 88 on just one cylinder firing. Drove one from Bluemont, Va to Harpers Ferry, WV on just 2 cylinders.
Doing a careful and complete rebuild of yours will give you an engine that should be fine for many years if properly maintained.