DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Technical Boards > Discovery - Technical Discussions

Old 07-08-2005, 02:58 PM
discoverover

I'm curious of everybodies opinion on the extra resistance on the steering box with a front damper mounted. It increases steering effort because there is no leverage on the damper like when it is in the rear. Could this wear out the steering box early, or just increase steering effort? Thanks
Old 07-08-2005, 04:11 PM

the resistance is very small, you can expand and compress the stabilizer easily by hand.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:29 PM

the distance from the center line of the king pin to the centerline of the tie rod and drag link are nearly identicle so the amount of resistance the steering stabilizer produces is pretty much the same if it is on the drag link or the tie rod.

the steering stabilizer protects the steering gear by absorbing shock loads as the wheels hit things that cause the steering wheel to feed back.

more important then the steering stabilizer is the condition of the panhard bushings. when they go bad the sector shaft in the steering gear has to locate the front axle assembly and that is much more likily to kill the steering gear then anything else.

MM
Old 07-08-2005, 06:47 PM
discoverover

Thanks, that's good to know about the panhard bushings. I felt a big difference in steering effort and thought it was the leverage that the passenger's side swivel ball provides. I think the distance between the passengers side drag link ball joint and track rod ball joint (about a foot) acts like a lever with the swivel ball as the fulcrum inbetween the two joints, which increases steering force on the rear mounted damper. In the front mount position the steering arm is pushing directly on the damper. I understand that the damping effect is the same, but was curious about the extra steering effort. Thanks for the input. Dave
Old 07-08-2005, 06:57 PM

I would guess your new damper is tighter then your old one and thats why you feel more resistance.