LR3 Differentials

BDKR

Mar 21, 2017
North Carolina
We picked up an LR3 a couple of days ago. The vehicle is nothing short of awesome! :patriot:

In my research, which includes talking to some of the local shops, I've heard some strange things. One of them is that replacing fluid in the diffs is pointless. Just drive them until you can't stand the noise then replace. For a guy that does a lot of his own work on cars, this sounds kind of crazy.

Now it's strange that he makes this sound like its what all the shops do when Atlantic British sells numerous diff service kits.

Personally, I would rather take care of it than drive it till it busts then replace.

Anyone have any input for me on this?

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
If the diff is already making noise, changing the fluid won't help. If it isn't making noise by now, it probably never will. I would change the fluid.

BDM

May 23, 2005
OR
We picked up an LR3 a couple of days ago. The vehicle is nothing short of awesome! :patriot:

In my research, which includes talking to some of the local shops, I've heard some strange things. One of them is that replacing fluid in the diffs is pointless. Just drive them until you can't stand the noise then replace. For a guy that does a lot of his own work on cars, this sounds kind of crazy.

Now it's strange that he makes this sound like its what all the shops do when Atlantic British sells numerous diff service kits.

Personally, I would rather take care of it than drive it till it busts then replace.

Anyone have any input for me on this?

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Replace the diff fluid every 30k or so. Use royal purple and they'll last a long time. Pre 2007 LR3's had a lining on the inside diff that would come off if fluid wasnt renewed properly.

The dealer says do the diffs every 75k, which is also pretty dumb.

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
Jimmy & BDM's advice is spot on.

Bear in mind if your LR3 is making a groaning noise it may well be the hub/bearing not the dif-lift the wheel up and see if you get movement at 12/6 O'clock.

BDKR

Mar 21, 2017
North Carolina
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Replace the diff fluid every 30k or so. Use royal purple and they'll last a long time. Pre 2007 LR3's had a lining on the inside diff that would come off if fluid wasnt renewed properly.

Jimmy & BDM's advice is spot on.

Well trust me chaps, I'm inclined to believe you guys over someone that has something to gain. Never mind it goes against my instincts!

And THANK YOU!!!!!

As for fluid, I was going to get my feet wet with a purchase from Atlantic British. Now I just need to know how to tell if my diff(s) are electric or not.

Sorry to be such a newb! I know Volvo's and BMW's better.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
]

IIRC, the factory interval under normal conditions is 10 years/150k miles, unless it is a locking rear diff, then it gets changed at 75k. I generally recommend cutting all of the factory service intervals in half.

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
Well trust me chaps, I'm inclined to believe you guys over someone that has something to gain. Never mind it goes against my instincts!

And THANK YOU!!!!!

As for fluid, I was going to get my feet wet with a purchase from Atlantic British. Now I just need to know how to tell if my diff(s) are electric or not.

Sorry to be such a newb! I know Volvo's and BMW's better.

Only the rear could be electric, i.e. locking, and that will be apparent by the solenoid that's back there if it is an HD package truck. Rare but not incredibly so. Probably worth both looking at the truck and running the VIN to get a sense of what specific specs you have.

As far as being a newb, everybody starts somewhere.