Right brake light doesn't work...

BDM

May 23, 2005
OR
I've got different symptoms from the usual brake light / brake light switch issues.

When replacing the tail light and brake light bulb in the pass side, only the tail light filament will light up when the brake is depressed. The tail light filament comes on when the lights are turned on however immediately turn off when the brake is depressed.

I put in the driver side bulb, that works fine, into the pass side and it does the same thing.

If I gently press the bulb in the socket, by gently I mean before you can turn it in to lock, the brake light light will function normally meaning the proper filament will light up when brake pedal is depressed.

When installed both filaments are vertical.

Anyone have this issue before? I'm guessing one of the contacts in there is bad? Looking at them they seem pretty clean. No oxidation or rust etc.

Thanks in advance.

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
Most of the time, this is a ground pin issue. For whatever reason, the ground pin in the socket gets bent away from the bulb over time, and the tail filament will ground through the brake circuit until you hit the brakes and there's power coming through that wire. Just bend the ground prong out a bit so it contacts the bulb base and you'll likely be set. Just fixed this issue on my D2.

BDM

May 23, 2005
OR
Thanks, Squirt. That fixed it. When pushing the bulb towards the ground pin on the side of socket it would light up. Just pulled it out a bit and it works great.