ARB bumper protection Question

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
The driveshaft should be your #1 priority. Its a ticking time bomb.. Second I would switch to a 180 Tstat. These trucks run way too warm with the stock thermostat. You can get an OEM 180 thermostat from a TD5.

Just for the record, I have the original stock thermostat in my 01 D2 and i never run above 195 even in the summer with AC on.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Get a scangauge or obd2 adapter to monitor coolant temps. I promise you even with new cooling parts, the stock temp gauge is a dumby gauge its either cold normal or overheating.. temps can get past 220 before the gauge moves from normal. At 230 your done! The 180 keeps temps around 190ish.. your Rover buddy should have told you that. Thats #2 after the driveshaft.

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
Get a scangauge or obd2 adapter to monitor coolant temps. I promise you even with new cooling parts, the stock temp gauge is a dumby gauge its either cold normal or overheating.. temps can get past 220 before the gauge moves from normal. At 230 your done! The 180 keeps temps around 190ish.. your Rover buddy should have told you that. Thats #2 after the driveshaft.

I have live monitoring and always stays right at 195!

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
Also "Coop" I would like to tell you K-Rover is a great resource. He is knowledgable and willing to share info. I am too, but I like to ruffle feathers from time to time!

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN
it has around 132000 miles, but for the past 5 years or so I have towed it to the trails with my LR3 that has 160000 miles on it.

I have nearly 500k miles on motorcycles including nearly 200k on just BMW motorcycles... I have about 400 miles with a bike on a trailer. Large trips like to Alaska, all over Canada to include the Island of a Labrador and large swaths of Mexico and other parts in Mexico and beyond. I have driven as far north, south east and west as you can drive in North America.

Your hauling your rig to the trail is not a bad thing, it is just not my thing. I travel all over the US, Canada, and Mexico. Your Disco is your tool for your task. My Disco is going to be my tool for my task.

They are not the same task.

I also never feel the need to play my Penis is bigger than yours. I just don't care. Do your thing. if It makes you happy and it is not immoral or illegal we are good.

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN

I have live monitoring as well. I have had the torque app from the early days of it coming out. I am evaluating the purchase of the Ultra Gauge or the other common one which escapes me right now. I am leaning to the ultra gauge currently as the display appears to be a bit larger and clearer. Sadly no one in Knoxville sells either, or at least keeps them in stock, so it is hard to do a side by side comparison.

I am a huge fan of actual monitoring however. It was a sad day when cars went from gauges to idiot lights...

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
I have nearly 500k miles on motorcycles including nearly 200k on just BMW motorcycles... I have about 400 miles with a bike on a trailer. Large trips like to Alaska, all over Canada to include the Island of a Labrador and large swaths of Mexico and other parts in Mexico and beyond. I have drive as far north, south east and west as you can drive in North America.

Your hauling your rig to the trail is not a bad thing, it is just not my thing. I travel all over the US, Canada, and Mexico. Your Disco is your tool for your task. My Disco is going to be my tool for my task.

They are not the same task.

I also never feel the need to play my Penis is bigger than yours. I just don't care. Do your thing. if It makes you happy and it is not immoral or illegal we are good.

I don't think I ever said my penis was bigger. And yes you are right...our purposes are different.

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN
One added note... i added the mechanism to give me CLD to my 99 D2. Who at land rover thought it was a good idea to take that away as opposed to just retaining it to supplement the traction control...

BTW, the traction control and down hill decent in the Frontier is amazing... wondering what it will be like in a vehicle nearly 20 years older.

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
traction control is quite good as long as everything is working. Pair the TC with a rear detroit and front trutrac and you have quite the system!

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
They will work just fine in a car accident which makes them useless for serious offroading.

what the fuck sense does that make?

the point is the ARB bumper is quite robust - enough to withstand the force of hitting a car at 45 mph.

pretty sure grinding over a rock "off roading" or whatever it will be fine - as this RRC was lifted a little over 3" and ran 235/85 tires, didn't have many clearance problems when at Moab.

and that particular RRC has been winched many times fully load without any issues as well.

really a shame it was totalled.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Meaning they use crush cans between the bumper and frame. Letting it deflect and absorb impact.. Thats what you want in car accident, but not when offroading.. Ive witnessed it first hand several times. You hit a rock and the bumper bends back into the fender and hood

To clarify.. its not the bumper itself, but the way its mounted to the frame.

One more edit.. you guys can beleive whatever you want! If you think the ARB is the best bumper on the market.. thats on you. Ive seen them tweak and bend with little to no force. As have others. With all that said. Im done with this thread!

luckyjoe

Oct 10, 2004
New Jersey USA
ARB + crush-can-mounting = D2 & late-D1 ARB bumpers? Is that accurate?

I know my D1 ARB was frame mounted (no crush cans, so pre-pedestrian-friendly construction), and the RRC ARB mounting is impressive - it literally fits the frame horns like a glove, and even has backing plates for the center bolt made to fit the frame (probably why Blueboy's frame bent in the photo above).

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
What is there left to say? The ARB is for hitting cows, regardless if it's a dirt, cobble, or paved road. If the gap bothers you, get some 6061 plate to cover it.

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN
traction control is quite good as long as everything is working. Pair the TC with a rear detroit and front trutrac and you have quite the system!

I was thinking selectable air or electric for the rear. I agree however a mechanical locker is most often a bonus.

honda50r

Jul 10, 2011
East Tennessee
I was thinking selectable air or electric for the rear. I agree however a mechanical locker is most often a bonus.

I'm from Knoxville. The "trails" you're referencing are dirt roads. You don't need a locker, roof rack, or "euro-style D1 front clip from your bud". You're blowing smoke. Hell, I run air lockers and hardly use them. Just enjoy your "overlanding", who cares what other people think.

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN
I'm from Knoxville. The "trails" you're referencing are dirt roads. You don't need a locker, roof rack, or "euro-style D1 front clip from your bud". You're blowing smoke. Hell, I run air lockers and hardly use them. Just enjoy your "overlanding", who cares what other people think.

The D1 front clip is so i can get the 300TDI motor out of it with all the associated hardware to include the engine mounts etc. it is far cheaper to get the sawed in half disco from a truck that will not pass their road worthiness standards in the UK than pay someone to pull it all off and then crate it up for transport.

The end game is the 300TDI motor swap.

Plus i dont just drive in and around Knoxville...

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN
ARB + crush-can-mounting = D2 & late-D1 ARB bumpers? Is that accurate?

I know my D1 ARB was frame mounted (no crush cans, so pre-pedestrian-friendly construction), and the RRC ARB mounting is impressive - it literally fits the frame horns like a glove, and even has backing plates for the center bolt made to fit the frame (probably why Blueboy's frame bent in the photo above).

That appears to be the problem. There are people who think that all of the ARB bumpers are the same. This confusion is compounded by the fact there are at least two varieties that are available for the D1 and early D2's that did not use crush can mounting system. As i under stand from the ARB engineer when i spoke to them a few months back the change over was some time around the 2003 model.

I posted earlier pictures of the two models which are different but somewhat similar looking at first glance.

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN

Are you a ETO member?