Time for a new transmission fluid thread.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
What's everyone using right now?

Since the licenses were dropped, a little faith is required when shopping.

On one hand, you want to use the appropriate fluid, and on the other, you want to avoid anything with too many "cleaning" additives after a certain amount of miles, as these just plain don't like to be washed out.

Mine sat for a while, and it's time for new fluid and a few changes to get it in there. Not sure what I'm going to use yet, but Castrol Transmax Dex/Merc still seems to be an off the shelf solution. The reasonable price is good for several drains and refills in a row.

I just wish the licenses were still in place for Dexron. Anything else I'm missing that's on the market now?

I have yet to contact ZF, but a lot of their suggestions simply aren't reasonably available in the US, or aren't adequately defined for the consumer.

Cheers,

Kennith

special ed

Apr 11, 2012
Elsinore
Ill second using Valvoline. Specifically Valvoline Max Life. In the past (years ago) I have used Chrysler D4 and a few other name brands. Since you can go up ratings on trans fluid but never down, I switched to the Valvoline because it can be run in almost anything cross compatibility wise. This means I dont have to have a bunch of different types of ATF on the shelf taking up space... If i remember it is rated D6 or maybe even above.

luckyjoe

Oct 10, 2004
New Jersey USA
When I picked-up my RRC three years ago it only had 49k miles. During the initial baseline I used Mobil 1 synth ATF. It was very expensive so I don't know if I'd make that choice again. Either way, 20k miles later the fluid is clean and the ZF shifts perfectly.

pinkytoe69

Jan 14, 2012
minnesota
RP Max ATF.

Pricey :)

If we're going premium suggestions...

I don't know how well it works in old Rovers (or if it passes your cleaning agent stipulation), but I've had great "mechanic in a bottle" results with Amsoil signature ATF.

- Had a mild low speed/RPM shudder in 4th gear in the GX470. Changed at ~220k miles and it's been fine since (~230k now).

- Had the "sticky" valve body upshift *BANG* in the Cayenne turbo. Changed at ~125k miles and it didn't really happen again for 40k miles when we sold it at 165k.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Pricey :)

If we're going premium suggestions...

I don't know how well it works in old Rovers (or if it passes your cleaning agent stipulation), but I've had great "mechanic in a bottle" results with Amsoil signature ATF.

- Had a mild low speed/RPM shudder in 4th gear in the GX470. Changed at ~220k miles and it's been fine since (~230k now).

- Had the "sticky" valve body upshift *BANG* in the Cayenne turbo. Changed at ~125k miles and it didn't really happen again for 40k miles when we sold it at 165k.

I've used Amsoil since the day after the break-in period on my DII, drained amber every time. The hatch was popped for the first time in it's life recently, and from the opinion I received, the efforts were not wasted. It was very clean.

The transmission has used Land Rover/ZF suggested "dino" fluid since new; changed frequently. It did sit for some time, though, and I'm hesitant to go tossing Amsoil in there, for fear of dislodging deposits too quickly and gumming things up. It's a legitimate risk with these transmissions, and when it happens, you're absolutely going to have to tear it down.

I think I'm better off doing a few changes with something less advanced before even thinking about putting anything like that in there. If it had been used since the break in, I'd feel fine about it. That's the thing about Amsoil, though... It performs as advertised.

It's just that the advertised features make me a little nervous around a transmission that's been sitting so long.

Seems to me the best move is the "mild soap and water" method of just using conventional fluid a few times to slowly break down deposits without causing issues.

Cheers,

Kennith

luckyjoe

Oct 10, 2004
New Jersey USA
Seems to me the best move is the "mild soap and water" method of just using conventional fluid a few times to slowly break down deposits without causing issues.

With your stated concerns, this seems like the proper approach, and cheap and effective too. Replace your trans cooler lines (and O-rings) and you get even more fluid out.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
With your stated concerns, this seems like the proper approach, and cheap and effective too. Replace your trans cooler lines (and O-rings) and you get even more fluid out.

I'm going to do that in about a thousand miles or so. They certainly need it. Rovers don't seem to mind sitting as much as other vehicles, but those little Class 1 leaks do show up after a while of not being used. They aren't critical in those systems, but I don't like leaks.

Until it sat there for a while, it was probably the only DII here that was spotless underneath, and she's had the snot beaten out of her over the years. It takes a lot of maintenance to keep things like that, and it's going to be a nightmare getting back to that point, but I'll make it happen. :victory:

Cheers,

Kennith

JohnB

Oct 18, 2007
Oregon
Castrol ATF changed out every 50K or so. Not high mileage stuff just the plain normal ATF
I added the D1 pan and stick years ago so changing and checking fluid is not a big deal.
Transmission has 250K and seems happy.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Castrol ATF changed out every 50K or so. Not high mileage stuff just the plain normal ATF
I added the D1 pan and stick years ago so changing and checking fluid is not a big deal.
Transmission has 250K and seems happy.

I've considered one of those pans on mine for convenience.

The transmission isn't too hard to service as it is, but when you're doing several drains and refills it's kind of annoying.

I've got to replace some gaskets down there anyway, though.

Cheers,

Kennith