Widest tires on LR wheel ANR1689 7J X 16

Britrover

Mar 8, 2014
Sunny FL
Hi, I had the wheels on my 92 RR recently powder coated and have been contemplating for a while about wider or bigger tires. Before I even talk about a lift or spacers, can someone please point out what would be the widest tire that LR wheel ANR1689 7J X 16 would accommodate?

The current tire size on the wheel is 235/70/16. The tires I want to add are BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2. My questions:

1) Would ANR1689 7J X 16 fit a LT245/70R16?

2) Will going up to LT255/70R16 or LT 265/70R16 warrant a lift to avoid any rubbing?

3) For option #2 can I get by with one inch spacers? If not I know everyone talks about OME shocks for the lift, but are their any cheaper options I should consider?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

Britrover

Mar 8, 2014
Sunny FL
Thanks. Not sure if mine are deep dish or not. Here is a picture of the wheel I have. I am certain you had a lift kit installed so if you don't mind please do share the lift kit details as well please.

mearstrae

Mar 15, 2017
Pennsylvania
Talk to the guys at Goodrich, they should be able to come up with the largest tire that will work. It's better than guessing at a size and being wrong. You could also use an on-line tire calculator to compare sizes, to get an idea of what might work. I've used Pro Comp shocks on my '76 LR and Terra Firma on my '99 Disco, both are cheaper than OME's and seem to work OK. You shouldn't need a lift kit with the right tire. If you do put in a lift of 2" or more you'd need longer shocks (and brake lines, and a few other changes), most standard length shocks (and brake lines) will tolerate a 1" lift. Keep in mind the major use for the Rangie and don't end up with an un-useable Tomb Raider type of thing that just looks cool.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
I had 255/65, 265/70, and 265/75 tires on 7"-wide rims.
The answer to (2) - yes, to (3) - maybe with 255/70 if you're lucky, no with 265 anything. Regardless of the lift, 265/70 will rub at full lock in the front.
Extended answer to (3) - you can use rear springs in front, and get a pair of OME MD or HD for the rear (or 1.5-2-inch spacer).

Britrover

Mar 8, 2014
Sunny FL
Thanks. Will connect with the chaps at Goodrich. Based on what I have read on the web for a i inch lift I would either need spacers or will need to order the police spec shocks and springs from the UK. Not sure which option is better so will read up more on spacers.

This is what I am finding for the Terra Firma: (https://www.lucky8llc.com/collectio...rma-all-terrain-rrc-light-load-suspension-kit). Are there any other changes in addition to the extended brake lines that will need to be made to accommodate this set up?

Vehicle will not go off road, I simply don't like the skinny tires and want the vehicle to have the wider tires like I have on my Defender.

mearstrae

Mar 15, 2017
Pennsylvania
Perhaps just go to something about 255/65/16 and call it good. If it's only used on the street a 2" lift will have a noticeable change in cornering stability (a spring kit will stiffen the ride also). I'd go for the wider tires and better gas shocks and leave it go at that. Save yourself some pain and money.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
For street, throw on some 1-inch spacers and 255/70 tires and call it good. Messing with springs, shocks, and brake lines is a waste of money in this case and will only result in screwing up the comfortable stock ride. 265/75 wont be as good a fit for street use.

Last edited:

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
want the vehicle to have the wider tires like I have on my Defender.

which on NAS D90s was 265/75-16.

the standard width on ROW D90s and 110s was equivalent to or was 235/85-16.

I have 265/75-16 on my Rangie with a 2" lift and looking forward to installing 235/85-16.

BTW, the original tire width on a Rangie was 205.

Pretty sure the wheels from your Defender will fit the Rangie - put them on and see if you like the look and ride.