Leak From Seam Between Safari Window and Rear Quarter Glass

_ExpeditionMan

Dec 11, 2017
Texas
All,

I had the headliner out of my D1 to repair the sunroof drains and noticed a strange leak coming from a seam directly below the safari window and the rear quarter panel on the RH side. Normally I would suspect a failed safari window seal, however I was able to eliminate this using a garden hose. The area where the sunroof drain pipe runs (below the safari window) is completely dry, however the seam of that channel on the lower portion (noted in red in the images) allows a drip of water through. This only occurs when water is sprayed directly into the rain gutter. The sealer material Land Rover laid in the rain gutters has cracked and looks awful so I suspect some rust and potentially just failed seam sealer. Has anyone had this issue before and successfully repaired?

Current plan is to dig out some of the Land Rover filler material in the rain gutter and see if I can find the hole, if found then seal it with water/UV proof sealer.

_ExpeditionMan

Dec 11, 2017
Texas
I have not seen a non-leaking alpine window seals on a D1.

I?ve heard as much, but the area directly surrounding the seal is bone dry. Including on top of the pictured channel. The only area that is wet is along that downward facing seam. Even experimented with only spraying on the rain gutter and not on the safari window to confirm. The safari window isn?t leaking, the source is somewhere below it, potentially in the rain gutter itself.

bsa_m21

Sep 27, 2016
Vancouver Canada
I had the identical problem. Fought with it for days. Turned out it was coming in from the seam from the outside rain gutters. Get up on a ladder and look at the sealant in the gutter. Mine was all cracked and letting water in. I scraped out as much as I could, used black undercoating from a caulking style tube to reseal it and my finger in a plastic glove to smooth it out. No more leaks.

M.

_ExpeditionMan

Dec 11, 2017
Texas
I had the identical problem. Fought with it for days. Turned out it was coming in from the seam from the outside rain gutters. Get up on a ladder and look at the sealant in the gutter. Mine was all cracked and letting water in. I scraped out as much as I could, used black undercoating from a caulking style tube to reseal it and my finger in a plastic glove to smooth it out. No more leaks.

M.

Really appreciate this response, I bought some waterproof sealant to do just that. The sealant Land Rover applied to the gutter is definitely cracked and has failed pretty much everywhere on the rain gutter. I suspect other leaks will only be a matter of time. I will either dig out the old sealant or coat over top of it and see if that fixes the problem. Thanks for the information!