buzzing/clicking under dash left side

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
On the way to work this morning I noticed a clicking sound under the dash near the left footwell - it happens when I apply the brakes.

The turn signals make a different sound than normal too (from that area).

To be honest it sounds like some kind of old teletype machine or dot-matrix printer. It goes off when I don't apply brakes but when I do it starts.

I'm at work, it's pouring rain so I can't get out there and take the thing apart and I am guessing it's a relay? Any thoughts so I can just order something while I'm sitting here?

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Stopped raining long enough for me to get out there - it seems to either be the big black box on the lower left side of the fuse panel, or the silver cylindrical thing above it. Both vibrate when I touch them and apply the brake, but since they're connected on a rigid panel that's a given - one of them seems to be going bad though.

here's what the panel looks like (google image).

My Rave is on a thumbdrive at home so I can't look up the electrical schematic to see what these things are/do.

Last edited:

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Whatever the black box is (22 views and no one can even say what it is?) it stopped after I was trying to pull it out to get a number off of it but couldn't get it out. So I guess it was loose.

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
picture.php

Best to put the year and mileage of your truck in your signature. Makes it easier to help.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
The flasher unit may look like, but is NOT a standard electric relay.

$15 at AB: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/YWT10003

Got it. Thanks.

It randomly buzzes, not necessarily when the flashers are on...buzz, click click, dot matrix printer sound, buzz...and of course today it didn't make a peep.

German Gruner - can you explain more what to do? I'm pretty dense. It did rain yesterday so maybe I do have something shorting somewhere.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Now that I think about it - my trailer light was on on the dash too, without a trailer hooked up. Wondering if maybe there's a short happening in the back somewhere....another thing to check I guess

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
This seems like it should be a ground wire, but it's attached at the plastic fuel filler. There's clearly a mount for a bolt there, but it doesn't make sense. Can't ground to plastic.

Or is it some kind of anti static thing?

Edit- anti static.

Last edited:

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Another question on this (it stopped buzzing so I forgot about ordering it).

The one listed above http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/YWT10003 says without trailer socket.

I have a trailer connector on mine (pic attached). The only time I ever hooked up a light to it was a cheap Harbor Freight style temporary magnetic towing light. When I pressed the brake my front light bar would light up and the trailer lights would dim, not go brighter.

So what I'm wondering is do I need this one instead (w/ trailer socket)?

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/YWT10002L

mearstrae

Mar 15, 2017
Pennsylvania
I don't know what set-up you have. I had little luck direct wiring in a pigtail on my '95 Rangie (which I did after I saw the price of the LR official trailer wiring), all sorts of dimming and other strange things . I ended up with the LR trailer kit and used the standard flasher unit and all was good. The big black box seems to make all the difference, some do-it-yourself Walmart kits have this feature and might work. As far as grounds (earths) go, make your own to the frame somewhere, don't get hung up on factory locations. And if you want to try a dedicated trailer flasher first, try the local auto parts and pick up the same type of flasher a bit cheaper.