Is anyone planning on trying the new General X3?

Shiftonthefly1

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas
I'll be picking up another set of tires soon. So far I've bought 6 sets of the BFG KO2's. I've been really happy with every set. One thing I don't like about the Ko2 is the side wall appearance. It's not bad really just not what I like.The Ko2s are very very quiet on road. They've been really great off road too. Amazing in the snow/ice. I have zero complaints really. I'm wondering if there is a more aggressive option worth consideration. Something may do the job just as well.

The General Grabber X3 may be that. If you listen to media hype. There have been several tv types using them on their shows. They most likely are getting paid to use them by General. Even so, I'm curious about them. They seem to be marketed as a hybrid between an AT and an MT. Which would be cool for what I do. According to the web site they are designed to be quiet on road as well. I worry about side wall strength as the AT2 grabbers were notorious for having weak sidewalls. I've beat the snot out of my KO2s with out one single failure. Even two direct hits on the side wall by sharp rocks. I still never lost air. I drove them home and through town to the tire shop.

Anybody using them? I haven't found a lot of non bias long term review yet. A few with A few thousand miles. Which were all good. Also a lot of promotional slomo shots through water :rolleyes:
And a couple magazine write ups. So any body planning on using them?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I worry about side wall strength as the AT2 grabbers were notorious for having weak sidewalls.

Really? Is this anecdotal or is it a well-documented issue like Firestone blowouts on Explorers in the late 1990s? Because I just bought a set of 5 Grabber AT2s for my RRC and I'll be bummed if I purchased a crappy tire. I don't plan to wheel it hard, but it will definitely see some trail use.

Shiftonthefly1

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas
There is a review someplace about them.They had a puncture. My own experience too. Ive had 2 failures. I think they are only a 2 ply side wall. The BFG is 3

Fish. Yes.

265/75 on my blue classic
235/85 on silver D1
265/70/18 on Silver 04 D2
235/85 on FJ60
265/75 on Black D1
275/70/18 on white 04 D2

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I think they are only a 2 ply side wall. The BFG is 3

General website shows a load index of 108 for the size I bought, also load range XL. Not as stout as the LT metric, but beefier than stock, which was around 104 or 105. Tire Rack says "The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts (some sizes reinforced with nylon) on top of a two-ply polyester cord body".

Also, it appears the X3 only comes in 4 sizes for 16" rims. Great if that includes the size you want.

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
Really? Is this anecdotal or is it a well-documented issue like Firestone blowouts on Explorers in the late 1990s? Because I just bought a set of 5 Grabber AT2s for my RRC and I'll be bummed if I purchased a crappy tire. I don't plan to wheel it hard, but it will definitely see some trail use.

I have a set of the AT2 tires in LT275/70/18 on my D2. I have to say that I like them slightly better than a few sets of the KO2's that I've had in the past. On-road behavior/noise/treadwear seems to be equivalent, off-road traction on slick surfaces is a bit better IMHO, but that's subjective.

For what its worth, regarding sidewalls - I recently had a rear spring unseat during a day on the trails, and didn't notice while airing up before heading home. The spring was pushing and rubbing against the sidewall of the tire for the whole 80 mile trip at 70+mph. When I got off the highway, I could smell the rubber and pulled off. Melted rubber everywhere in the wheelwell, so I took the wheel off, popped the spring back in place, and put the spare on. The sidewall was worn to about 10% of its original thickness, but you'd never have known by the tire's behavior.

4Runner

May 24, 2007
Boise Idaho
Those kind of look like the Cooper ST Maxx. Love the tires with the armored or extra plies in the side walls. That's kept me from getting the spare out a few times. Been interested in trying a set of Generals out.

35xj

Dec 8, 2014
Asheville nc
I've been running the x3 on 2 of my rigs for the last several months. 35/125/17 on my dodge 2500 pickup with camper. Truck weighs 9600 lbs just got back from a8500 mile trip. Down through baja for a month. Mostly off road. Ran the tires in every terrain. Down as low as 10 psi in the sand when I burried it door deep.
Just put a set on my disco 1 last mont. Got about 1000 miles on them so far. Mostly road miles so far
Great quiet tire, showing very little wear so far, impressive on an almost 10,000 truck!

Worth a shot for sure

Shiftonthefly1

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas
I've been running the x3 on 2 of my rigs for the last several months. 35/125/17 on my dodge 2500 pickup with camper. Truck weighs 9600 lbs just got back from a8500 mile trip. Down through baja for a month. Mostly off road. Ran the tires in every terrain. Down as low as 10 psi in the sand when I burried it door deep.
Just put a set on my disco 1 last mont. Got about 1000 miles on them so far. Mostly road miles so far
Great quiet tire, showing very little wear so far, impressive on an almost 10,000 truck!

Worth a shot for sure

That sounds amazing. Thanks for the info