Strange rotational squeal?

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
I've got a strange squeal or chirpping from the front of my D2. It isn't the serpentine belt. It only happens when moving and the brakes don't affect It. It may be a hub bearing but I've never heard one like this. Sucks because I'm dragging a trailer from Wytheville va to portsmouth vs about 350 miles. Anyone have a guess what it might be?

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
First, I want to give a shout out to Uncle Doug and his faithful sidekick, Trey. I was 350 miles from home with no tools, parts, transportation or close support. While trying to figure out my issue a rear caliper locked up and smoked the rotor too. They got up early Saturday, dismantled a D2 at the shop, and drove parts and tools 140 miles from Concord Va to Rural Retreat Va. I swapped out everything including the hub. It resolved my brake problem but the squeal/chirping persisted. The driveshaft was fully rebuilt about 6 weeks ago. I basically said 'F it" and drove the 350 miles home. We got back without incident but the squeaking remains. I'm swapping out the DS in the morning. If the problem goes I'll revisit that DS. If not, I guess I'll delve deeper.

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
The front drive shaft

Good call. The new centering pin appears to have failed but the u-joints look/feel fine. I greased and swapped in the old driveshaft. I've heard a lot of different noises through the years but never heard a driveshaft make this chirping sound. My first centering pin failure, I guess. All is okay....for the moment....after all, it is a Land Rover.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
At least that is an easy fix. While this isn't your problem, it is good to know that when the u-joints start to fail the c-clips that hold them in will often rotate. If you can see that the c-clip has moved it is time for a new u-joint.