DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > Events/Trails/Trips

Events/Trails/Trips Clubs or individuals may post their event information here

Old 05-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #26
Mongo

Default Re: Overland Expo west 2017

I may go just to see the lastest cool overlanding attire...you forgot about the multi-color RotopaX water and fuel containers bolted all over the rack with Engel fridge mount that lowers to the ground
01 D2 (history) RuffStuff housings ARB/Detroit, custom radius arms/ 4 link rear, 14" Bling/ADS shocks 37" Creepy's, Ashcroft Under Drive, X-Brake, PSC hydro steering, Hellfire Hi Steer Knuckles... all under a buggy now...

1983 RHD 110 Pick-up
Mongo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #27
jymmiejamz

Those Rotopax are so lame. I don't care how great they are, they just look fucking lame. I feel the same way about orange MaxTraxx.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:09 PM   #28
ERover82

Too small and expensive.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:23 AM   #29
D Chapman

I don't get the whole MaxTraxx thing. Sure, they work. But like a Hi-Lift jack, you'll never use them.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #30
garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Chapman View Post
I don't get the whole MaxTraxx thing. Sure, they work. But like a Hi-Lift jack, you'll never use them.
LOL. That's because you don't drive anything but some gravel roads.

The Hi Lift is likely the best money you can spend dollar for dollar if you spend a decent amount of time on the trails. Especially once you learn everything you can do with it and distance yourself from people that say it's a dangerous tool.
1992 Toyota Prado
1991 Toyota Hilux
1991 Toyota Surf
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
1997 Toyota 4Runner
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1993 Mad River Explorer
1996 Thoroughbred
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #31
Tugela

Quote:
When you drive a truck that doesn't have much in the way of mods, these can have some practicality. I've only used them once on a trail that ended up being tougher than expected. Only they were the waffle boards, which at least have more functionality. It was a big time saver (relative to a winch) to get me past a slick spot on a climb - it just took a couple minutes to pull the boards out of my buddy's truck, stick them under my wheels, and return them when I got through the tricky spot. They are no replacement for a winch, but they are handy for times when you have a single, small obstacle to get over or are stuck in sand. The Maxtraxx are limited utility since they are only traction aids whereas the waffle boards are strong enough to use as bridging. That being said, I haven't found them useful enough to spend $200 on a pair of waffle boards myself.

1998 Discovery LSE
1993 Range Rover County Sport
Global Exploration and Recovery, LLC
Tugela is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #32
D Chapman

I've owned a Hi-Lift for probably 15-20 years. I used it to jack up my storage building once.

In all the places I've wheeled, hard-core to recreation, I can count on one hand how many times I've seen the Hi-Lift come out. I'm not saying it can't do things, just as the MaxTraxx do what they do, it's just a tool you never use and only takes up space.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #33
garrett

Something like a Pul-Pal is what I'd consider a tool that has very limited use - not a Hi Lift. A lot of people mount the Hi Lift in the most ridiculous places, thus making it an inconvenience to use. It's like any other piece of gear - you have to know when and where to use it based on how safe the application. Of course we're going to use all these pieces of gear over a week of teaching vs. some recreational person out for the day.

People tend to default to the winch because they paid $600 for it and will always find a need for it, which doesn't mean it's the right tool for the job. But hey it worked, so it's all good.

The traction mats and bridging ladders work great as well. Regularly spending 10 seconds to throw a mat down, will save 10-15 min of getting the winch out. Again it's a matter of "hey I got this", vs. let me take a few seconds to prep the site.

I've had groups show me traction mats they made overseas before their mission that only last a few days, but they worked. Some plywood and nuts/bolts works pretty good too.

MAXTRAX are a bit pricey and their lifespan is limited, since it's made of plastic. We use them a significant amount, but then again we're running 5-6 trucks a day, for 5 days. Our gear gets used more in a few trainings that the recreational person does in a year.
1992 Toyota Prado
1991 Toyota Hilux
1991 Toyota Surf
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
1997 Toyota 4Runner
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1993 Mad River Explorer
1996 Thoroughbred
Old 05-10-2017, 12:01 PM   #34
squirt

Am I the only one that finds the Hi-Lift to be the most convenient jack for general use? No need to crawl under the truck and place a bottle jack. Stick it under the slider and have the whole side of the truck off the ground in under a minute. I wouldn't trust it with any part of my body under the truck, but the same is true for any jack.
squirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #35
ERover82

I use my hi-lift quite often, around the house and yard. Never once off-road.

Do you guys use any of the various metal "sand ladders" available?
Old 05-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #36
garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTyrrell View Post
I use my hi-lift quite often, around the house and yard. Never once off-road.

Do you guys use any of the various metal "sand ladders" available?
Yes have used them extensively. Along with "marshall mats"/landing mats, which are quite similar. They work fine, but you have to layer them up to bridge with them. The don't provide a lot of traction, but they do help in keep the suspension flat when laid out properly.
1992 Toyota Prado
1991 Toyota Hilux
1991 Toyota Surf
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
1997 Toyota 4Runner
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1993 Mad River Explorer
1996 Thoroughbred
Old 05-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #37
p m
Administrator

Quote:
In all the places I've wheeled, hard-core to recreation, I can count on one hand how many times I've seen the Hi-Lift come out. I'm not saying it can't do things, just as the MaxTraxx do what they do, it's just a tool you never use and only takes up space.
+1.
I think I remember ALL uses of my Hi-Lift in close to 20 years. Every single use to lift a long-travel-suspension vehicle would be an OSHA violation were it for work purposes.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #38
jim-00-4.6
Keyboard Pounder II

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_max View Post
Ok, you guys talked me into it. I went to Cabela's and bought $300 worth of clothes. Khakis with lots of pockets , plaid shirts with lots of pockets, camo jackets and lots of socks. I'm ready for overlanding. I'm beginning by changing my oil. I'll document that in my blog.

btw, mid 30's for overnight temps.
My camo socks have velcro-secured pockets.
And a place to put a small, useless shackle on each side.

I'm taking my "rig" to the dealer for an oil change; there's no one better than "factory-trained" technicians at the dealer!
Plus, I can wear all my tacticool gear at the dealer, and I fit right in with the rest of the douche-canoes and cockholsters!

"Faith" and "Feelings" are the warm marrow of evil.
They are the Darkness to the Light of Reason.
jim-00-4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #39
jymmiejamz

Quote:
But like a Hi-Lift jack, you'll never use them.
I haven't used mine in recent years, but I've probably used a Hi-lift at least 100 times. I consider it an essential tool and I would pick that over a winch given the choice.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #40
Mongo

used it a lot, worked out great to work the suspension on the d2 after deciding that 28" inches of wheel travel was cool...but also have seen it almost rip the the jaw off someone who shouldn't have been allowed to use a bottle opener, let alone a hi-lift, it was a pretty expensive helicopter ride for the dude and now speaks with a permentant lisp...
01 D2 (history) RuffStuff housings ARB/Detroit, custom radius arms/ 4 link rear, 14" Bling/ADS shocks 37" Creepy's, Ashcroft Under Drive, X-Brake, PSC hydro steering, Hellfire Hi Steer Knuckles... all under a buggy now...

1983 RHD 110 Pick-up
Old 05-10-2017, 04:18 PM   #41
D Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post

The traction mats and bridging ladders work great as well. Regularly spending 10 seconds to throw a mat down, will save 10-15 min of getting the winch out. Again it's a matter of "hey I got this", vs. let me take a few seconds to prep the site.
LOL. 10 seconds to rip out the mats and 10-15 minutes to use the winch? Hmmmm.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:56 PM   #42
jymmiejamz

Most of the time my winch get used is because it is the fastest and easiest thing to use.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #43
SCSL

Member Trucks

Who would want the hassle of a winch when you could bask in the convince of a Hi-Lift come along?

1996 Disco I 33s, armor, etc (sold, now on 35s, nasty)
1999 Disco II, stock (sold, now a nice mild build)
2001 Disco II, chopped & caged, 37s, locked (Molly)
2008 L322 (DD)
SCSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:06 PM   #44
emmodg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSL View Post
Who would want the hassle of a winch when you could bask in the convince of a Hi-Lift come along?
You are so right. However; if you instsist on using your winch, for heaven's sake - avail yourself of this handy app brought to you by the I4WDTA!

Here are the simple instructions:

" Safe-Xtract has launched a "lite" version of their Vehicle Recovery Android Application. One can search for "winch extraction" or "Safe-Xtract" and the App will be revealed.
Alternatively one can go to this link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?
An iOS version will be released shortly too.
Safe-Xtract is a veteran owned company. The Safe-Xtract Vehicle Recovery Android Application price is $1.99 and Safe-Xtract intends to donate part of the proceeds to select not for profits to support, among other causes, veterans with TBI and PTSD.
Herewith the instructions of using the Safe-Xtract Vehicle Recovery Android Application launched on Google Play Store.
Inputs
1) Enter the stuck vehicle weight if known or select an appropriate vehicle from the drop down menu
2) Enter the slope / gradient in degrees of the stuck vehicle
3) Enter the total number of wheels of the stuck vehicle
4) Enter the number of missing/damaged/buried (above the wheel centerline) wheels of the stuck vehicle
5) Enter the stuck vehicle winch capacity or the winch capacity of the extract vehicle
6) From the drop down menu, enter the ground condition of the stuck vehicle
Outputs
The Safe-Xtract Vehicle Recovery Android Application outputs provide:
1) The Total Resistance "TR" measured in lbs.
2) The recommended winch layer for either single and/or double line pull sufficient to overcome TR to winch xtract the stuck vehicle
Help Menu
The Help Menu provides:
1) Safety Tips
2) Winch Hand Signals
3) About the Safe-Xtract App "
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0411.jpg (139.6 KB, 9 views)

2000 R1150GS
2000 Toyota 4Runner
1963 Triumph TR4
1993 Ducati 900ss
emmodg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #45
jymmiejamz

That looks like something you could find for sale at the Overland Expo.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:12 PM   #46
az_max
Asshole Extrordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmodg View Post
I hope that apparel contains lots of velcro and zippers! You better have some coyote brown and black clothing as well! Did you get a floppy wide-brim hat? How are you fixed with lots of shit attached to your belt? Multi-tool, knife, and cell phone. Got some soft shackles you can dangle off of your tactical pack? It better be a Mystery Ranch! Maxtrax, do you have your Maxtrax ??? Are you slumming it on the ground or do you have a RTT? Don't expect many people to walk by your rig and ask stupid questions if you've just got some old tent on the ground beside it! And for shit's sake - DO NOT go around with some plastic water container! If you don't have a YETI or Hydroflask than just keep your narrow ass at home!
I saw the need for a jacket with velcro on the the sleeves. Where am I to put my patches?
I do have a floppy hat; ex military boonie hat in Digital Woodland. Helps keep the sun off my neck.
My tactical pack is a kid's backback with a green reflector from Glendale Family Bike Ride. I use it when riding my bike to work. Small so I don't overload it with stuff.
Yeah, I'm a ground dweller. Only a Kodiak Canvas tent.
I forgot my hydroflask at home (along with the butter and measuring cups). Had a Ozark Trails cup I won at a raffle for drinks. Only used it for my Coke headed up.
Yes, my ass is narrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo
used it a lot, worked out great to work the suspension on the d2 after deciding that 28" inches of wheel travel was cool...but also have seen it almost rip the the jaw off someone who shouldn't have been allowed to use a bottle opener, let alone a hi-lift, it was a pretty expensive helicopter ride for the dude and now speaks with a permentant lisp
I have literally watched Frank and co winch a D1 back on it's wheels using a hi-lift.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:03 PM   #47
az_max
Asshole Extrordinaire

So a wrap up of OX2017West.

Holy Shit was it huge! It was a mile from my camp to the main exhibitor area. Couple hundred exhibitors and vendors in three areas. I think the booth arrangement could have been better, especially in the grassy area. Some of the rows kind of melded into one or dead ended. I walked a couple of miles a day, opting for the shuttle at the end of the day. 7000 ft altitude really killed me.

Food would have been better if I remembered the butter for the scalloped potatoes. Food trucks were on site for lunch. Montana BBQ and 3s in the Trees being my favorite. I found out brisket tacos are a thing and delicious. Food trucks were overwhelmed with people, lines for each one. Some shutting down early for lack of ingredients. I heard rumors of a small store on-site but I didn't see it. I made do with smoked sausage and spaghetti/meatballs for dinner.

The bar. Holy Hell The Bar. Old Time Tanker Beer had their gorgeous Mack truck with 5 local beers on tap. Plus a fully stocked liquor bar. It was the main attraction for Happy Hour. The film festival was good, although I had to leave early so I didn't fall asleep in my chair.

Camping... oh my. There was a fenced off area around the (empty) horse stables, an area for over-sized vehicles that couldn't fit between the trees plus an overflow camping area. Since I had a small trailer, they directed me to the overflow. I was up against the fence, so it was open woods behind me. I had 6 neighbors (very) close by. When I walked through the main camp area I considered myself luck. They were crammed in like sardines.

By mid-day Saturday, the parking lots for day passes was full and they were using the sides of the roads and the over-sized lot for parking everyone. Grace H told me they expected 12k people. I wouldn't doubt if there were more. I left Saturday evening, so I don't know how packed Sunday was.

Classes were good. Overall good information given. I didn't have too many classes booked because of scheduling late in April. It took all of the 5 minutes allotted to get between stuff, especially if they were on opposite ends of the show.

Land Rover and BFG were onsite with test tracks. They were in the center of the old horse track (hence the stables in the camp area). Camel Trophy hands-on area was in the same area. I took a new RR on the trail. Had massage option for driver and passenger. I could get used to that shit. I didn't have a chance to get on the BFG track. The wait was too long when I checked. CT had a trench dug and some advanced recovery areas set up. I saw their roll-over vehicle was a 4-runner with an exo-cage.

I wished for club or OX sponsored trail runs. We were 50 miles from Sedona, but I'm sure there were trails nearby to run.
I made it home with no major purchases. Got some ideas for packing the trailer or combining gear. Some minor bugs to track down with the truck, but it was a good time.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:36 PM   #48
Mongo

The bar almost made it worth it, was up on Friday and while it wasn't that crowded then, still ended up parking about a mile from the site. Had a couple of meetings that went as expected and took 5 trucks, including a earthroamer thru Broken Arrow. I'm floored by the amount of companies fabricating big dollar shit. Some of the shit was going for more than 2k for a poorly made POS bumper. Bailed Saturday AM, but as I was leaving the line to get in was backed up almost 2 miles. Stopped at one campsite where literally 6 trucks were parked in a typical Park Service tent site, And next site over had even more trucks packed in...why people didn't just go for the thousands of acres of dispersed camping within 2 miles was beyond me...
Much better site, they still need major help on dealing with crowds, how to park them, how to move them and how to provide adequate food for the masses. The line for food was 20 to 40 minutes on Friday, so I couldn't imagine how long it was with a big crowd.
Same classes, same experts and I'll only say the Camel Trophy guys desperately need some new material...

1983 RHD 110 Pick-up
Old 05-15-2017, 12:04 PM   #49
emmodg

Did everybody learn how to right a rolled Discovery? Huh? Did they?

2000 R1150GS
2000 Toyota 4Runner
1963 Triumph TR4
1993 Ducati 900ss
emmodg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:26 PM   #50
ERover82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Same classes, same experts and I'll only say the Camel Trophy guys desperately need some new material...
How so?