Mechanical oil pressure and temp sensor help

Wildboar

Oct 18, 2012
Apex, NC
I have a 1997 D1 4.0l and I want to add a mechanical oil pressure sensor and oil temp gauge.

The senders for each are in the photo - the on left for the pressure reading and the one on the right for the temp.

I bought a Glow Shift oil filter adapter for the pressure fitting. But what are my options for the temperature sensor?

Looking at an oil sender T-piece http://www.roverware.us/oil-pressure-sender-t-piece/ option but it seems to only allow for an oil pressure fitting to be added you keep the original idiot light sensor.

Note: I have scan gauge I use for battery, rpms, water temp and amb temp but I need some confidence the oil is good to go.

-Derek

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
Edit. Noticed you are looking for Oil temp.

The spin on adapter I had had 3 ports. That's where I installed temp and pressure. Can not remember the filter adapter manufacturer though.

Message randy Williams at roverbones and ask him to look at the adapter. He has my old truck now.

Wildboar

Oct 18, 2012
Apex, NC
Edit. Noticed you are looking for Oil temp.

The spin on adapter I had had 3 ports. That's where I installed temp and pressure. Can not remember the filter adapter manufacturer though.

Message randy Williams at roverbones and ask him to look at the adapter. He has my old truck now.

Thank Mike! Will do. I have multiple port too but the sender I have won't fit directly without an adapter.

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
My preference is electrical. Mechanical is great until it leaks in your dash!

I will try to find the spin on I used I thought it was a 42 as well for the old spin ons.

Wildboar

Oct 18, 2012
Apex, NC
Alternatively I believe I have adapters to just replace the existing oil sending unit with the gauge temp sender. Would just have to disable the oil light. What would be the best way to do that? Unplug the bulb in the dash I suppose?

Wildboar

Oct 18, 2012
Apex, NC
they are not even close if you look a the picture in my previous post. I will see if Glow Shift has an adapter. That would be easiest.

Wildboar

Oct 18, 2012
Apex, NC
will have to figure another oil temp sensor solution. You cannot use a T-piece as the capillary tube needs flow around it. Hmm....

Agreed...easier to just go electric. Thanks for the comments everyone.

Last edited:

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
If it gives any piece of mind, when I used to wrench, I installed many set ups on race cars and street cars and never seen issues with electrical senders.

Most likely you want to use what you have instead of spending more coin and tapping into electric. Understandable. Find a machine shop and have them make the adapters you want. Down side is if they have to buy taps they will add that to the bill.

The common installation was oil pressure switches to cut voltage to the coil in air cooled 911's.

Side note; another tip I learned for race set up is clock all the gauges so the needle is at 12 o'clock, at the temps and pressures you need to be at. Obviously when you are racing you just want to quickly glance at gauges so if they are all pointing north ou know you are good.

Wildboar

Oct 18, 2012
Apex, NC
If it gives any piece of mind, when I used to wrench, I installed many set ups on race cars and street cars and never seen issues with electrical senders.

Most likely you want to use what you have instead of spending more coin and tapping into electric. Understandable. Find a machine shop and have them make the adapters you want. Down side is if they have to buy taps they will add that to the bill.

The common installation was oil pressure switches to cut voltage to the coil in air cooled 911's.

Side note; another tip I learned for race set up is clock all the gauges so the needle is at 12 o'clock, at the temps and pressures you need to be at. Obviously when you are racing you just want to quickly glance at gauges so if they are all pointing north ou know you are good.

Great advice Mike. Thanks again!

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Sounda like you need this. Make me an offer and its yours. Sending units are missing

Nomar

Apr 23, 2004
Virginia
I used the above mentioned Roverware T adapter in my Defender.
I wanted to keep the stock light and add a VDO (electrical sender) oil gauge.

Worked fined but when installed the position of the accessory "T" was clocked in a less than ideal position so I think I had to add a washer or remove the washer....cant remember.