DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Technical Boards > Discovery - Technical Discussions

Old 02-18-2018, 12:45 AM

Member Trucks
After running my '97 XD for a few years with the CEL on, I've decided it's time to get it fixed properly. I have a simple OBDII reader, and the issue was the downstream O2 sensors. Because I'm cheap, I just kept resetting the code anytime I had to go through DEQ to register the truck here in Oregon. Unfortunately, my OBDII reader is no longer reading the code nor is it able to reset it. I know the reader works, as I tried it on my other car, so now I'm investigating why it's no longer working on the Disco (I'm guessing a fuse, but hadn't gotten to it yet).

I picked up the O2 sensors from Will, and finally installed them tonight. Since I can't use my reader to clear the code, I'm wondering if the code will reset itself after some time/mileage. I only drove it about 5 miles into town and back, the code never cleared, so I'm wondering if a bit more driving will clear it.

TL;DR: will driving my disco with new O2 sensor eventually clear the CEL code?

'94 RRC LWB - sold, and missed, and now BACK! (But in desperate need of restoration...)
Old 02-19-2018, 11:08 AM

Many codes will clear after 3 complete (warm up/cool off) cycles of no issue being detected. I'm not sure if 'all' codes clear though. A trip to your local auto parts store would suffice. They can read the codes but typically will not clear them, however, they've allowed me to clear them using their reader (on occasion where I was out of town and had no reader with me).
Old 02-19-2018, 08:12 PM

Member Trucks
Thanks, that makes sense.

I did take it to Napa, and they couldn't read it either. Turns out, my fuse had blown to the reader. Once that was fixed, I was able to read and clear the code. One drive cycle only so far, but the code has stayed off. First time I've had a clear dash in years!

'94 RRC LWB - sold, and missed, and now BACK! (But in desperate need of restoration...)