Randomly shuts off issue and stumbles, Puzzeled

Grenade

Oct 8, 2015
Vegas
1995 Land Rover D1 almost all stock, other than suspension mods and mall crawler parts. 99k on the clock

Symptom: Anywhere from 10-20 minutes into my drive the D1 will act just like someone is turning the key on and off. Some times it will just shut off and if I crank it it just turns over and over. But if I pull over to the side of the road and put it in park, turn the key off wait 5 seconds and start it it fires right up. No issue.

I had a VSS code about 15k ago, and I pulled the VSS and it looked perfect, no slop, no issue with the harness, connector so I cleaned it up and reinstalled and have not seen the code or any issue since. I have moved the key around while the vehicle is on and moving and this does not have any affect towards the issue at all. I have a brand new AGM battery, grounds are all clean and the main ground post from the battery is strapped directly to the battery for added peace of mind. This vehicle has been indoors its whole life in the great state of NV so rust or corrosion are not an issue. I have also softly bumped the shifter around while driving and nothing triggers the same issue.

Only other symptom is that very rarely while slowing down to a stop light or traffic slows, the vehicle will just die out. If I put it in park, then start it everything is fine again.

Anyone have any ideas?

Grenade

Oct 8, 2015
Vegas
Just happened again last night. I hear a clicking coming from the passenger side foot well where the ECU and relays are. Ill take a look in that area to see if anything is loose, but kind of shooting in the dark.

Any got a suggestion for best place to buy ECU relay, and fuel relay?

lunchbox

Apr 20, 2004
St Louis, MO
That is where the fuel pump relay is. I had a similar issue and it was the fuel pump harness in the back. Worth a look.

Grenade

Oct 8, 2015
Vegas
Update on this situation. I narrowed the issue down to loosing the ground signal from the ECU to the Fuel Pump Relay. I swapped in a new ECU from the JY and all is working just fine now.