My engine idles low and dies

RayDunn

Jul 21, 2004
Nashville, TN
My engine idles really low and turned off this morning. This is a problem that happens from time to time, but without any patterns. The engine has about 130,000 miles on it, but has been kept up and normally runs fine. The last time I had the spark plugs changed was at 95,000 miles (during the 30,000 mile service). If anyone has any ideas let me know. Thanks!

Hoot

Apr 19, 2004
Bloomfield twp, MI
It could be a lot of things but just going form what i have read on here a few of the common things that can cause that are a dirty stepper motor, and a clogged fuel filter.

P

polofella26

Mine does the same thing when I start it. I replaced the fuel filter and the issue is still there. Anyone know for sure?

rpm2429

Jun 11, 2004
denver, co
I ditto the stepper motor, whenever I have cleaned mine it does the same thing for a day until it dries out and then everything is back to normal.

Hoot

Apr 19, 2004
Bloomfield twp, MI
there was a post on this not to long ago where someone put up dogotal photos showing the locales. where it is depends on what year your disco is. on the 95 the stepper is on the back rear of the plenum on the passenger side. on the newer 4.0 engines it is on the front right side of the plennum. if you have a D2 then i dont know where it is.

fule pump

if the pump is old and not giving the presure it need to run the truck is one thing. if the electrical conections are going bad the pump will run poorly. or the pump could be bad. i would check it out before i order one they are around $300

D

Discobro

It could be either of those two. Most likely the stepper motor (technically referred to as Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve). Here is a photo of where it is located on a 96 D1 4.0.

Attachments

• IAC.jpg
    IAC.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 138