D1 160amp alternator

bsa_m21

Sep 27, 2016
Vancouver Canada
Hi,

I just picked up a 160amp alternator off eBay. Before I mount it, I was looking at the wiring diagram for my truck. Between the battery and Alternator there is a 100amp fusible link.

Should I be upgrading that to a 160amp fuse, or should I disconnect the alternator from the panel and run a separate line from the alternator to the battery with a 160amp inline link?

Thoughts?

M.

bsa_m21

Sep 27, 2016
Vancouver Canada
Why? I went through two rebuilt alternators that lasted only a month or two. (Diode packs went.) So I decided to buy a new one and I thought I might as well go for an upgrade while at it.

PM - Thanks for the link. I was considering something like that also.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Why? I went through two rebuilt alternators that lasted only a month or two. (Diode packs went.) So I decided to buy a new one and I thought I might as well go for an upgrade while at it.

PM - Thanks for the link. I was considering something like that also.
There are cheaper options as well; I might use this 400A breaker to keep the winch cabling cold whenever I don't anticipate the need in a winch.

bsa_m21

Sep 27, 2016
Vancouver Canada
That's a good idea also.

I physically disconnect the winch power lead when not going/plannning to use it. It's a 30 second job with my setup.

M.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
That's a good idea also.

I physically disconnect the winch power lead when not going/plannning to use it. It's a 30 second job with my setup.

M.
I did it before, but I don't like loose 1-gauge wires velcro'ed to the nearest available object under the hood. So it is connected - but it is a matter of time for the insulation to chaff through. The linked above breaker is on its way to me.

bsa_m21

Sep 27, 2016
Vancouver Canada
Diode puncture comes when a line breaks. You should check your mass cables and connections for contact troubles in order not to get another went pack

Back of alternator has leads marked B, D & W. According to my manual:
B - goes to engine bay fuse box and then via 100amp link to battery & starter.
D - goes to the charge light
W - goes via an 820 Ohm "Phase Tap Resistor" to the tachometer

I am going to replace the alternator to battery cables, and take apart the fuse box and clean all contacts. Should I also plan to replace the 100amp fuse?

Could the leads to the charging light and tach also cause the diodes to burn out?

M.

bsa_m21

Sep 27, 2016
Vancouver Canada
I did it before, but I don't like loose 1-gauge wires velcro'ed to the nearest available object under the hood. So it is connected - but it is a matter of time for the insulation to chaff through. The linked above breaker is on its way to me.

This is the disconnect I used:
https://www.amazon.com/Cllena-Batte...1507756726&sr=8-9&keywords=battery+disconnect

I mearly inserted a thick nylon washer to prevent the screw from seating and making a connection. To use, I pull out the washer.

M.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
I looked at these - 200A rating somewhat stressed me out with a 12k winch. I also looked at marine battery switches - but most of these rated past 300A are too bulky. Hope to get my breaker in the mail in a few days.

bsa_m21

Sep 27, 2016
Vancouver Canada
Well I've replaced the battery with a new 880CCA unit, cleaned all connections and verified that there is little resistance on the battery to fusebox cable, and the box to alternator cable. I even cleaned all the fuse to bus connections. But, I haven't installed the new 160 amp unit yet and have the replacement rebuilt 100amp unit still installed.

The way D1's are wired, there is a 100amp fuse inline between the alternator and the battery. As such, it can never provide more than 100 amps to the battery or it will blow the fuse. My winch is connected to the battery via a relay, so it conceivably can draw more than 100amp from the alternator and blow the fuse. I don't like that idea, especially as it's out in the bush when I need the winch.

There are 150 amp fuses available, as well as re-settable ciruit breakers, but I was wondering if changing the fuse, or wiring in a circuit breaker might cause other problems with 21yr old electronics.

Thoughts anyone?

M.

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
The limit is more likely the wire gauge than the fuse. The system will only pull what amps it needs. All of these circuits are fused further down the line. If you upgrade to a 150amp fuse upgrade the wire too. Use a chart to determine gauge needed as it can be smaller in short runs. Also consider the extended run time and amperage draw of a winch in use.