Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org

Swedjen2

Sep 12, 2018
California
people swap engines in OBD2 vehicles and get nailed when the ECU and VIN don't match at emission testing.. AZ and CA are probably the two worst states

So what happens if the ECU takes a dump? You have to replace it with some other ECU that won't match. I suppose a shop has to reflash the ECU and can include the VIN? Anyone know the correct procedure?

pdogg

Jul 18, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I'm no expert.. my points are simply to highlight that it's not a trivial thing to swap an engine in the OBD2 world.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I’ve heard mixed reviews of it. If you just have to have diesel, then I guess it makes sense, but I think an LS is probably a much better option for the amount of work involved.

Reactions: Howski

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
For classic Land Rovers, the HS2.8 or 4BD1-T are the only diesel swaps I'd consider. More power and easy to fit, but still simple and mechanical, like the rest of the vehicle.

Last edited:

HiSPL

Aug 28, 2016
College Station , TX
A VW TDi motor makes the same or more power and will be 100 pounds lighter fully dressed. And they are proven to go 300-400k miles and get excellent MPG even in heavier trucks.

The only problem is they aren't packaged up in kits. You can even go full mechanical if that's your thing, but really the ECU has been figured out and tuning is easy and unlocks a ton of potential. A 2.0 liter BHM from a Passat would be my choice. All stock with a tune you would put out the same HP/Torque numbers as the Rover V8.

Reactions: Swedjen2

Swedjen2

Sep 12, 2018
California
I'd go with the VW rather than a PRC diesel, where they throw everything into the smelter; tires, wrecked cars, old beds and pots and pans.
They must've hired the old foreman from Land Rover who was in charge of the last run of Rover v8 castings.