First defender Post!

B

Bow Tie

Ok Gang, Here IS a tech question. I want to get a bit more power out of the ol'D90. Any suggestions that don't break the bank???? (hijacked for technical reasons ha ha!)

B

Bow Tie

But I need more powerrrrr.......... Ok let's break the bank? I lose power going up steep grades at highway speeds....Is it just another quirk I will learn to love about my D90?

draaronr

Apr 20, 2004
wilmington, nc
Bow Tie said:
But I need more powerrrrr.......... Ok let's break the bank? I lose power going up steep grades at highway speeds....Is it just another quirk I will learn to love about my D90?
yes, or buy a supercharger, or put really small tires on it. :)

B

Bow Tie

Good one! Headed to the tire store right now for some 14 inch tires with mud treads! LOL Nah! I would look too much like a "jeep" then!

D

Drewfuss27

Plain and simple... you need lower gears (ring and pinion). It's the most economical way to solve the bogging down on steep hills or sometimes even heavy winds. Aftermarket doodads like high performance exhausts, air intakes, plugs and wires, and even ignition systems can get you a few more ponies, but at a big expense. Engine swaps are an obvious option, but an even bigger expense. For example, I have a YJ with a 4 cyl. engine and I'm running 4.88 gears and 35" BFG Muds; my buddy has a YJ with a 6 cyl (4.0 HO) stock gears and 33" BFG's and I pull away from him on the highway and up hills.

draaronr

Apr 20, 2004
wilmington, nc
Drewfuss27 said:
Plain and simple... you need lower gears (ring and pinion). It's the most economical way to solve the bogging down on steep hills or sometimes even heavy winds. Aftermarket doodads like high performance exhausts, air intakes, plugs and wires, and even ignition systems can get you a few more ponies, but at a big expense. Engine swaps are an obvious option, but an even bigger expense. For example, I have a YJ with a 4 cyl. engine and I'm running 4.88 gears and 35" BFG Muds; my buddy has a YJ with a 6 cyl (4.0 HO) stock gears and 33" BFG's and I pull away from him on the highway and up hills.

Yeah all the way up to 60mph :)

Ron

Jun 15, 2004
Main Line
5 speed and a 4.6/14cux set up is pretty spritely.

Also, one could get the trans out of a S.A. spec D90 and fit the BMW 6 cylinder, I suppose one could even fit an M3 motor with such a set up.

JSQ

Apr 21, 2004
San Diego, CA
Ron said:
5 speed and a 4.6/14cux set up is pretty spritely.

Also, one could get the trans out of a S.A. spec D90 and fit the BMW 6 cylinder, I suppose one could even fit an M3 motor with such a set up.

I've driven those trucks and although I loved that motor in my 325i it has zero low end torque for offroad.

D90DC

Nov 4, 2004
New Hampshire
Blueboy said:
``But I need more powerrrrr??

drop off your 90 at East Coast Rover and have a 4.6 engine installed.

or if you really want more power, have a 5.2 installed.

Jaime

Rule of thumb... How Fast can you a$$ord to go.... A 5.2 RPI enging is what 6 to 7K

crown14

May 11, 2006
Clayton, NC
4.6 engine swap without breaking the bank? HA!

Source a 4.2 from a Range Rover Classic. Its a direct bolt in and gives you the benefit of more displacement without having to switch a GEMS 4.6 motor to the 14CUX 3.9 config your D90 is based around.
Rebuild, with upgraded cam. There are a few more options parts wise but I am talking budget conscious here.

B

Bow Tie

Hmmm. I had not thought of the 4.2 option. I will look into it. I must say that the 4.6 is a neat install. I have seen one and it looked a bit tight but clean and smooth running!