Would it be crazy to drive a RRC cross country?

rover4x4

Apr 21, 2004
North Carolina, Raleigh
Man those old Rovers are built tough.

I was recently ran into in a parking lot. I was driving a '15 Mazda and hit by an Acura MDX at like 8mph. I am thinking the repair bill will be around 7k, granted the headlight does cost more than my RRC. If dude wouldve hit my RRC I probably would have driven off with nothing more than a scratch.

Raps

Jun 22, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Wow lotta great info here everyone, appreciate it! Lots to consider, but no matter what I hope to have some form of RRC in my driveway with a year or so, will definitely keep you posted :)

roverBLUE

Sep 29, 2004
Clayton, NC
I've driven my RRC with the original 3.9 in it from NC to Toronto Canada. Had zero issues. I did have a bag of tools and some spare parts with me. Now it serves mostly as a beach rig making 5 hr roundtrip roadtrips to the beach in the summer heat. I have a recored radiator and new water pump maybe 4 yrs ago. Everything else is original. Has 238K on it. Most everything that has ever gone wrong on this truck has been predictable and fixed and or replaced by me. She's giving me more and more electrical issues lately but I would drive cross country again with some prep without reservation. It is by far the best overall Rover I've owned. I would love to find a nice "specimen" later down the road and take better care of it. Funny thing is my 2 young daughters love Rovers and my 8 yr old wants this to be her first car. I kind of like the idea of her driving a tank, that gets terrible gas mileage, doesn't go very fast and keeps her guessing if something will go wrong. Lol

Raps

Jun 22, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Thought I would update this thread as i've made my decision - probably not what this group would want to hear though..........I went with a 2014 Audi SQ5 :)

At the end of the day, I couldn't find the ideal RRC here in the NYC area or within a day or 2 drive (like most pointed out) and its not a purchase I wanted to rush into so I got a much more practical daily driver. I'm going to drive it cross country in a month and once settled in LA this fall I will begin the search for a RRC from that part of the country. With more time I can truly enjoy the hunt and find the right project for me.

Thanks everyone and you'll hear from me soon enough again in the fall

Raps

Jun 22, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Another update in case anyone wanted to know but now that i'm settled in LA, I finally pulled the trigger on a '95 SWB! Here she is after I picked it up in SF and drove down to LA with no issues56128, glad to be back in the Rover fam

Raps

Jun 22, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Nice! I moved from NYC to LA in May.

Ah nice! I just followed you on instagram :) I'll be putting on some Rover events in my new Car Club space in Marina Del Rey coming up this spring so stay tuned!

Thanks everyone else, nice to have finally come full circle on this!