Shop Organization

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Problem with that is that you end up with a shed-load of parts that need to be spread out all over the workbench or the floor to find anything.
I'd go for smaller bins to ease the search for that one little thing you need so badly.

Ya it sucks. I take a fender cover and pour out the stuff onto it. Find what I want and dump it back in. I want some bins but dont have the space right now.

How about a tire storage rack that would be strong enough to hold Wheels and tires munted to the wall up high. I always keep a set of winter tires for my wifes LR2 around. They are always in my way.I've also got a set of steel wheels for a Disco,and like 3 sets of alloy disco wheels. I see the stuff tire rack sells and figure I could make something with $10 worth of scrap metal.

JohnnoK

Mar 19, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I hang my spare bike tyres on a 38x38 (1 1/2 x 1 1/2 in your money) on a rafter in the garage, I'm sure with a bit of planning, it could be adapted for heavier wheels like your winter ones.
Even a pulley set-up to make lief easier to get it down.
I do remember a lot of cursing trying not to get brained by the 2 tyres already on the hanger and adding a spare wheel....

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Speaking of storing tires, is it better to store them standing up or lying down? Or is there no difference?

Standing up. If you lay them on the side and stack them the sidewalls get pushed down and it will be hard to get them back on a rim. If its tires and wheels already mounted thenit makes no difference.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I hang my spare bike tyres on a 38x38 (1 1/2 x 1 1/2 in your money) on a rafter in the garage, I'm sure with a bit of planning, it could be adapted for heavier wheels like your winter ones.
Even a pulley set-up to make lief easier to get it down.
I do remember a lot of cursing trying not to get brained by the 2 tyres already on the hanger and adding a spare wheel....

My rafters are sealed up. We gotta run insulation in our buildings up here. But thats a good idea if the rafters are exposed.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Every time I part a car, I buy one of these(or something very similar):
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-...ional-Small-Parts-Organizer-014725R/203707065

The bins can be removed to accommodate larger bolts. I have separate cases for metric & imperial hardware, and one for extra-special fasteners. If my kids want something to do to help me, I have them organize by approximate size and fine/coarse thread. I've got about 6-7 of these in a cabinet, and I have at least one of every fastener I could possibly want to use on a car, and I can actually find it within a few minutes.

As an example, last weekend I realized that I had lost a rear brake caliper bolt at some point, so the caliper was sitting crooked. I went to the fastener bins and had 5 different options that would work, narrowed the head size and thread length, and had it fixed in under 10 mins. I think the bolt I used came from an old Audi V8q "UFO" brake setup.

I buy the exact same organizers.

They're the only ones that manage to hold every tiny screw in it's bin even if shaken about.

So far as shop organization goes, I never really made it beyond Gladiator cabinets and those reasonably tough shelving units you pick up at various warehouse and improvement stores for $150-$200 a piece. I have a couple of roll about tool chest/workstation things, but I'm a messy mechanic.

Doesn't matter how many fancy counters and tables you give me; sooner or later I'll be sitting on the dirt outside covered in parts. I'm just too dumb to use a proper work surface.

Anything that rolls up and/or hangs on the wall while still deploying without a hassle is great though, and replacing all my lawn care stuff and power tools with cordless electric units eliminates problem cords and smells.

Cheers,

Kennith

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I never post on it ever.

Same shit, over and over again; and near as I can tell that's all those octogenarians are interested in.

...and for the record, don't let Google fool you; that site is populated nearly entirely by cheap fucks who don't know shit.

Say one thing someone doesn't like, and it's shut right the fuck down, and often you'll get what's meant to be some kind of pussy attempt at an insult when you try to log back in without realizing you've been banned for a while.

Many threads you post in just disappear, leaving all that information essentially forever out of your reach. It's lost.

...and they have the NERVE to go on about kicking teeth in at the bottom of the page, because they're such tough guys I suppose. Bunch of fucking fragile, snowflake nancies.

Garage Journal is just a massive waste of everyone's time. It's a two-fingered circle jerk.

Cheers,

Kennith

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Any recommendations on tool drawers that I can mount under my wood workbench?

I built a wood workbench in my garage and I'm out of room on my pegboard backing. It's a simple 2x4 frame with 4x4 front legs (rear mounted to ledger on wall) and a 3/4" MDF top work surface. I'd like to have some low profile roll-out drawers for wrenches that I can mount under the top work surface.

luckyjoe

Oct 10, 2004
New Jersey USA
How deep is your workbench? My workbench top is a 4x8 sheet of plywood with a formica top & aluminum edging. I then placed the top toolbox and drawer set from a rolling toolbox against the wall, leaving a normal work space in front of it. The extra depth is also great for the lower storage shelf - full of bins, boxes and assorted storage...

attachment.php

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Any recommendations on tool drawers that I can mount under my wood workbench?

I built a wood workbench in my garage and I'm out of room on my pegboard backing. It's a simple 2x4 frame with 4x4 front legs (rear mounted to ledger on wall) and a 3/4" MDF top work surface. I'd like to have some low profile roll-out drawers for wrenches that I can mount under the top work surface.

Can you not buy a small rolling tool box that will roll under the bench? It is pretty common in auto shops with built in tool boxes to have roll carts that are stored under the work surface.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
No, I have a full-width and depth MDF shelf under there. The bench depth is only 24 inches and I have a pegboard backing so not really room to stack drawers on top. Here's a couple photos... I'd obviously have to re-work the 2x4 runner under the top work surface, or box in drawer frames below the 2x4. Right now it's just wasted space because I only stack things so high on the shelf underneath. I just picked up a couple Snap-On metric and SAE wrench sets and I want to put them in drawers.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
No, I have a full-width and depth MDF shelf under there. The bench depth is only 24 inches and I have a pegboard backing so not really room to stack drawers on top. Here's a couple photos... I'd obviously have to re-work the 2x4 runner under the top work surface, or box in drawer frames below the 2x4. Right now it's just wasted space because I only stack things so high on the shelf underneath. I just picked up a couple Snap-On metric and SAE wrench sets and I want to put them in drawers.

Ah, the problem with getting older and accumulating more tools - Not enough space!