Looked at a 4Runner yesterday, and I have a question

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
When most people can barely dream of purchasing these new you're telling me they crush them after 5 years?

Yes. Just like similar armored BMW 7 series the Army and other groups have overseas. There is nothing "special" about them other than they are armored/added comms, etc. Anyone can purchase them. But DSS in particular dead-lines their armored vehicles at 5 years - then they become target practice, blown up and taken to somewhere to be destroyed completely. These are US spec vehicles modified by US armoring companies. It's pretty wasteful as these vehicles could be donated/sold to driving schools, etc. and get some use.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Yup.

Can't get away from the things over there, which makes it triple-frustrating to get back and not be able to buy one.

The Land Cruiser 70, or whatever number they are on now, is a great vehicle that I actually think would be a great success in the US if brought in. Every country bumpkin out there would have one; pretty much like everywhere else in the world.

Toyota no longer has to get past being Japanese. The Tacoma eventually cured most people of that foolishness. Oh, they still want a GMC or whatever, but that won't stop them from having a jacked up Taco beside their American school bus.

Cheers,

Kennith

79 Series. It has to the best vehicle made at this point. But again it's designed for shit roads at slower speeds. They are all over South America too and it's all you see the farmers drive at the local markets. We drove mostly Hiluxes all over the Andes, but the true work horse down there is the 79 series.

This guy has been trying for many years to get them imported legally. https://www.lc-america.com/ Still not too sure it will ever happen.

I still enjoy hearing the occasional person tell me they don't want to support Japanese car makers. If only they knew what they were talking about - as they head to Wal Mart.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
79 Series. It has to the best vehicle made at this point. But again it's designed for shit roads at slower speeds. They are all over South America too and it's all you see the farmers drive at the local markets. We drove mostly Hiluxes all over the Andes, but the true work horse down there is the 79 series.

This guy has been trying for many years to get them imported legally. https://www.lc-america.com/ Still not too sure it will ever happen.

I still enjoy hearing the occasional person tell me they don't want to support Japanese car makers. If only they knew what they were talking about - as they head to Wal Mart.

On the bright side, in a few years we'll be able to bring some in that will look pretty much like the new ones, and can probably be capable of bolt-on cosmetic updates like people do to Defenders.

I've always wanted a Defender 130 double cab high capacity pickup in Bonatti gray, or however it's spelled.

I don't want one enough to pay $150,000 for an old farm, truck, though. :mad:

There's one on Ebay right now, I think.

Cheers,

Kennith

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
Hold on to that dream Kennith. Wait 1.5 years and you can buy one and I'll store it someplace for you awaiting its 25th birfday. That's what I'm planning on doing. Holding onto a lot of "stock" someplace. The Brits are too aware of the 25 year rule now. But stuff that isn't ripe yet has no additional value and the average joe or dealer can't just sit on the stuff.

brian4d

Dec 3, 2007
High Point, NC
Currently DSS is looking for options as the 1 ton Suburban is done and it's their main choice for level 6/7 armor vehicles. They are "testing" some options at their facility where I work. But depending on location/use they use everything from G wagons, Prado, LCs, etc. SOF in general are almost all Toyota based on "indigenous" vehicle and reliability. They have a 5 year dead line life on them, so it's sad to see them get destroyed so soon.

Cash for Clunkers. Except they are double clunked.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Hold on to that dream Kennith. Wait 1.5 years and you can buy one and I'll store it someplace for you awaiting its 25th birfday. That's what I'm planning on doing. Holding onto a lot of "stock" someplace. The Brits are too aware of the 25 year rule now. But stuff that isn't ripe yet has no additional value and the average joe or dealer can't just sit on the stuff.

I might just do that. Hadn't considered it. Thanks man. :)

Cheers,

Kennith

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Stopped at a light behind a 4Runner yesterday. Jacked up at least 8 inches, 35s, no bumper, tiny axle tubes, tiny shocks, fragile looking leaf spring hangers. lol

pinkytoe69

Jan 14, 2012
minnesota
I got the v6 model. I didn?t want the v8 because it requires a timing belt change. What problems have you heard about the 4.0 v6?

The timing belt change on the 4.7 is super easy.

$15 gets you 2 days access to every factory service manual in the Toyota TIS.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
My buddies 4 runner.. Hes spent some money on this thing... It flexes better than in the rear than most Rovers. Front is still limited by the IFS.. Hes running 35" TSL Radials.
28534075_10104633807469559_127496794_n.jpg