Wise minds of dweb I summon thee

kade

Oct 15, 2013
Upstate, SC
C'est la vie with Rover ownership. $2,000 for a head gasket job is a low price, assuming that figure includes the machine work on the heads - an important step of the repair unless you enjoy replacing head gaskets frequently.

If you want to weigh your options I encourage you to read this Discoweb thread on the DIY approach to replacing head gaskets. It will help you to evaluate if you want to take it on yourself. If you already have the head gasket kit you should be able to complete the job for less than an additional $500, although YMMV.

If the truck is otherwise mechanically sound (recognizing that is subjective) and free of rust, this could be a worthwhile project. In other words, if you plan to keep the truck for a while and it's worth more to you than just the cash value, then do the repair. If you don't have the interest/capacity for fixing it yourself or the price is too steep, then maybe you cut your losses and walk.

Problem is I don?t know that I have the capacity to do it myself (at least in a timely manner) and where I currently live it would be fairly difficult. I?d have to do it under a shed of sorts that leaks like a Rover.

It?s a tough call. If I had had this beast longer than 3 days before this incident, it would be an easier decision. It was running pretty good. I just hate to take the gamble and get it back to have something else go wrong.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
Agreed $2k isn’t bad. If it’s not your DD save the $ and do it yourself. Did mine when I was down in Atlanta so can’t recommend a good machine shop in the upstate

proper4wd

Jun 11, 2015
boston
did they take off the upper intake or the lower intake? by intake gasket, i mean valley gasket. the fact that you have this at a non-rover shop, is a big problem. although on the plus side, replacing the headgaskets will fix it either way as the intake gasket has to be done as part of it. so they cant be wrong. classic shop diagnosis.

learn how to work on it yourself or get used to this.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I just hate to take the gamble and get it back to have something else go wrong.

That's not a gamble. It's a certainty. You can also look at the situation differently. Head gasket failure is an opportunity to learn a lot about how your engine works, improve your mechanical skills, and boost your confidence for long-term Rover ownership. It's a generalization to say, but there is some truth in the notion that if you can do a head gasket job you can do most anything else on your truck.

I made the decision to tackle the head gasket job myself when I was in a similar situation as you are now. Looking back, I'm glad I made the choice I did. The experience I gained has improved my relationship with my Rover and I've learned a lot more since.

The job isn't particularly hard. It is time consuming for a rookie and requires attention to detail. The good news is that the resources are available to you to help you succeed in the project. This site, the technical manual (RAVE), YouTube videos, all the information you need is at your fingertips.

If you don't have the tolerance and disposable income for continuing and unpredictable maintenance needs and repairs, owning a Rover may not be for you. It's a bumpy journey but many of us find the frustrations are worth the rewards.

Reactions: robbyb20

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I would also add that doing the complete head gasket job may not solve all your woes. Head gaskets can fail as a result of problems elsewhere in the cooling system. These can include, for starters:

radiator
water pump
thermostat
fan clutch

It will compound your misery if you go through the head gasket replacement only to realize your engine still gets too hot because your radiator is clogged, your fan clutch doesn't force enough air over your radiator, or your thermostat isn't opening at the correct temperature.

Replacing all four of these components would add a lot to the budget, so if you're going to commit to keeping this Disco then it would be a good idea to make sure the rest of your cooling system is working properly. If all the parts listed above are factory original then they are probably living on borrowed time if they haven't already exceeded their useful life.

Levi

Jul 27, 2004
Cheyenne, WY
Problem is I don?t know that I have the capacity to do it myself (at least in a timely manner) and where I currently live it would be fairly difficult. I?d have to do it under a shed of sorts that leaks like a Rover.

It?s a tough call. If I had had this beast longer than 3 days before this incident, it would be an easier decision. It was running pretty good. I just hate to take the gamble and get it back to have something else go wrong.

Thanks for all the input guys.

If you get a set of heads from Will you could do this over a weekend. It's really not that bad of a job if you are prepared. I will loan you my In Search of the Experience DVD with the head gasket tutorial if you send it back.

I would definitely double check the valley gasket more thoroughly though. What you described sounds like when my valley gasket went out.

Swedjen2

Sep 12, 2018
California
Since they're off, did they/he check the flatness of the heads? Check the coolant for hydrocarbons? Did they pressure test the block so you know if the liners are O.K. or not? Simple tests for a decent mechanic. Then again, he may not be familiar with Rover engines and liners. Let's hope.

kade

Oct 15, 2013
Upstate, SC
If you get a set of heads from Will you could do this over a weekend. It's really not that bad of a job if you are prepared. I will loan you my In Search of the Experience DVD with the head gasket tutorial if you send it back.

I would definitely double check the valley gasket more thoroughly though. What you described sounds like when my valley gasket went out.

Thanks for the offer! If I decide to take on the Project myself I will check back with you.
I think about it and know it would feel good to accomplish it myself but I know I could not do it in a weekend. May just have to get them to do it and save my energy for when the next part breaks.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Thanks for the offer! If I decide to take on the Project myself I will check back with you.
I think about it and know it would feel good to accomplish it myself but I know I could not do it in a weekend. May just have to get them to do it and save my energy for when the next part breaks.

I think you can do it yourself. I would get the heads off it and send them out to be ground. I've put straight edges on every head I pull off these engines. I haven't seen a straight one in a long time. Don't sweat the block surface.

I do kind of agree with the guys who say it's more than likely the intake gasket. But that being said, your so close to replacing the head gaskets once the intake is off. It's really not that much more work.

Post up when your doing the job. take up PT on his offer to walk you thru it. Now that he's back from where the climate suites his clothes or what ever.

proper4wd

Jun 11, 2015
boston
pt you are losing it. catastrophic coolant waterfall down the bellhousing is classic intake gasket failure and you know it.