Winch mount

BigLouAamich

Mar 30, 2014
Burke Virginia
I'm at the point that that I am doing a front bumper and winch. I was looking at the winch setup on my Dad's 61 Willys and started thinking. It sets in a cradle in front and is driven off the engine (PTO). You can move it from the front to the hitch on the back and hook it up to the PTO on the back. Point is you can use it either on the front or back. I was thinking about having a hitch on the front and rear bumpers. Then have the winch on a setup that can mount on either the front or back. The winch I would stow in the rear of the vehicle when not in use. I'm just wondering if there is some kind of benefit to this? I've never needed to move the winch off the front of the Willys.

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
I think you made your own argument against having the mount portable. The sacrifices in strength, durability, and positioning far outweigh the rare convenience of having a rear winch. Much like yourself, the number of times I wish I could pull from the rear of my vehicle are very few. And in those cases, your buddy can just hook up a winch or strap from behind.