DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Technical Boards > Discovery - Technical Discussions

Old 08-03-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUKE179r View Post
Damn it Brianhoberg! See what you started??? lol
Nah, a fever started the more aggressive response. I've been up and down for a week; loopy as hell, too.

Not deleting it, as it's still a good point, and a good illustration of what happens when you post if your mind ain't right.

Cheers,

Kennith

Dan Chapman is a coward. I own a magical island.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:05 PM

FALCONWORKS UNIT:

I'll snap some pictures later today, but right now I want to go ahead and put out an "initial quality" impression.

Don't buy it!

This bugger is going back as soon as possible. I'll just make one myself. This is a perfect example of a good idea made bad by poor workmanship.

Cheers,

Kennith

Old 08-03-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennith View Post
I'm perfectly chill...
Um...nope, you're not.

Now if I were DiscoMike I'd have given you my phone number and insisted you call me
1972 Alfa Spider
1991 Alfa 164S
1983 Ferrari 308
1958 Champion 7EC
1946 Luscombe 8E

Things are not as they seem, nor are they otherwise
Old 08-03-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcabpilot View Post
Um...nope, you're not.

Now if I were DiscoMike I'd have given you my phone number and insisted you call me
Certainly true about the phone call.

I'm chill. Too chill. Last night I was too hot, at about 103 degrees give or take. I thought I was having fun. Must have taken forever to type that.

I do still stand by my points about your contention coming from a dangerous place, but the venom I retract at this time.

Do try to avoid malaria and anything similar.

I'll probably start to burn up again this evening, but I think it's tapering off.

Cheers,

Kennith

Old 08-03-2018, 01:24 PM

Yea let's agree to disagree on that subject and not talk about it anymore. I see you spent 250 bucks on an upgraded TBH plate, good on you I hope it works. Some people are going to tell you you're nuts putting money into your Disco, here's my story:

I bought my truck in 2005 for $18k, really nice loaded 2001 SE7 with all the options ACE, SLS, 7 seats, rear air con, dual sunroofs and 48,000 miles. The only mods I did to it were bigger tires and I installed a transfer case shifter from a D1 so I could hook up the diff lock because although the 01's had CDL BMW decided there was no need to connect it. Around 100k it started dripping coolant from the front of the left head so I pulled both heads, had the valves done and put it back together. At around 189k miles I was coming back from a two week trail trek across Nevada and Utah that included the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands i started overheating - only when going up a hill though. Well I had a lot of hills to get over to get back home (the Sierra Nevada) but I managed to make it. I figured it was a head gasket again but due to mileage I also figured it was time for a complete overhaul.

So I bought a used 4.6 motor from drillbit here on discoweb and swapped it in. He also gave me a deal on a spare 4.6 crank and rod set so my plan was, and still is, to rebuild my 4.0 as a 4.6 with top hat liners and all new bearings, pistons, cam, lifters, valves, guides and rocker assemblies. I've priced it out and it's just under $7k including the $1500 for the top hat conversion work and a $500 allowance for machine shop to put the new guides in the heads.

So if anybody gives you shit about putting money into your D2 I got your back

BTW - the only thing that doesn't work on my truck is the CD changer because who the hell uses CD's anymore (oh, and the throttle body heater but we won't go there

EDIT: oops, I missed your post above about the Falconworks. Too bad although I did think it was a bit pricey for a 2x2 slab of bronze with a couple of quarter inch nipples. FWIW the last time I did mine I honed both surfaces with 2000 grit and used Hondabond and it lasted for about six years. You're right, it's a combo of the alloy and the three screws. If it had a screw in each corner I don't think it would ever leak.
1972 Alfa Spider
1991 Alfa 164S
1983 Ferrari 308
1958 Champion 7EC
1946 Luscombe 8E

Things are not as they seem, nor are they otherwise

Last edited by kcabpilot; 08-03-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:49 PM
KN4KFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennith View Post
I'm chill. Too chill. Last night I was too hot, at about 103 degrees give or take. I thought I was having fun. Must have taken forever to type that.

Ahh...that explains your delusions!

I'm just kidding. Hope you feel better.

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Dangerous time when our country is led by those who will lie about anything, backed by those who will believe anything, based on information from media sources that will say anything. Americans must break out of that bubble and seek truth.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGaynor View Post
Ahh...that explains your delusions!

I'm just kidding. Hope you feel better.
Only once a year now. The rest of my delusions are my own.

Used to be a hell of a lot more often and worse. I seem to be over this particular episode.

Cheers,

Kennith

Old 08-07-2018, 12:27 PM

Something interesting people ought to try in relation to this is making ice during summer in a hole in the ground. It will not work everywhere, but you'll have fun figuring out where it does indeed work, and how to make it happen in varied conditions. It takes only a few minutes to set up.

I've shocked a lot of people in the middle of nowhere with that little trick.

One thing people are overestimating is the amount of ice that can form. We're not talking about big chunks in a throttle body; it's just a little bit of "frost", but given how tight the tolerances are, it can be enough. Once it forms, it's not going away until the airflow stops.

You don't really need to understand what's happening when making that ice to work your way through it; have fun on your trail and camping trips figuring it out your own way. There are a lot of physical principals in play from nearly every such discipline, and trying to work through them may frustrate you.

Just pretend it's a science fair or something similar, and walk in ignorant. You'll be very excited the first time you get it to work.

The trouble you'll have is a demonstration of how unlikely the issue will be in a vehicle like this, but once you nail it, you'll realize just how quickly it happens on the rare occasions in which the conditions are perfect.

Try not to look up how to make the ice. Just think about how it might work, and play around until you start getting cold water, then adjust.

Cheers,

Kennith

Old 08-07-2018, 07:26 PM

At the end of the day, why is this engine so special that it needs throttle body temperature regulation?

I realize there are other vehicles that have this "feature", but there are many, many vehicles which don't... And there isn't any mass outrage.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:31 AM
Almost There...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirt View Post
I realize there are other vehicles that have this "feature", but there are many, many vehicles which don't... And there isn't any mass outrage.
Engineers don't usually waste shareholder money by designing in parts where there's no reason for doing so. Maybe (and this is pure speculation) it's that the environmental performance envelope that was the design target exceeds that of the typical many, many vehicle. You know, all those videos of Rovers driving on the Arctic ice cap, and stuff like that. Stuff that most will never need. OTOH, very few will need a locking center diff, either. But it's part of the performance reputation that is promoted for the vehicle.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirt View Post
At the end of the day, why is this engine so special that it needs throttle body temperature regulation?

It's special because it was debuted by Buick, the masters of making something conventional unconventional, in 1959.

There are many ways to accomplish the same thing. The top end of this is a little less developed than others.

It's also a rather "bolt-on modernized" and unique engine, almost unchanged since Buick built the first unit, fitted to a vehicle with a factory snorkel option that's designed to operate in harsh and varied environments.

It's not a normal engine. It may just be an old leftover Buick push-rod V8 designed to attract budget customers who didn't want a six, but it was odd then, and it's just as odd now. Buick called it the "Fireball V8", after some of their earlier offerings. Oldsmobile called it the "Rocket V8" and fitted it with alcohol injection from the factory.

Buick engines are weird. They're wonderful, but they are weird. Land Rover-built, modernized Buick engines are even more weird.

There is a lot of history under that hood. It's one of the most important engines of all time.

Cheers,

Kennith

Old 08-08-2018, 01:50 AM

For the record, quite a few engines run coolant to the throttle body. We just happen to be on a Rover forum.

Cheers,

Kennith

Old 08-08-2018, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryO View Post
Engineers don't usually waste shareholder money by designing in parts where there's no reason for doing so. Maybe (and this is pure speculation) it's that the environmental performance envelope that was the design target exceeds that of the typical many, many vehicle. You know, all those videos of Rovers driving on the Arctic ice cap, and stuff like that. Stuff that most will never need. OTOH, very few will need a locking center diff, either. But it's part of the performance reputation that is promoted for the vehicle.
Another interesting point relating to how it ended up how it ended up is the fact that it exceeds Ford's "Leaf and Road" program specifications across the board, making it one of the most flexible fuel engines on the road at the time; as well as meeting ultra low emission standards in "Thor" form.

I love these things. Nothing else feels quite like it, and if you run one in a small, light vehicle, you really see the brilliance behind it all.

Dan Gurney's rookie Indy 500 run was powered by a Buick 215 in Micky Thompson's own vehicle design.

Cheers,

Kennith

Old 08-09-2018, 09:39 AM

It's been over 2 years since I last logged in. Merely a coincidence my TBH is puking and I run into this gem of a thread.....

edit sig............... I am not amigo free
Stock Drive Shaft w/ 4 zerks

1959 SERIES II 88
1983 Datsun 720 King Cab 2WD
Old 08-09-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhk07 View Post
It's been over 2 years since I last logged in. Merely a coincidence my TBH is puking and I run into this gem of a thread.....

edit sig............... I am not amigo free
I'm about to run a temporary bypass to save time diagnosing the rest of the system, which will also let me skim the stuff that's there and use the factory unit as a template.

Too bad we can't check the pressure all over the system in different places; especially in this area. Might not learn anything useful, but it would be pretty neat.

....still, who's stupid enough to uncork a non-leaking DII coolant system several times in various places to run the tests?

Cheers,

Kennith