DiscoWeb Message Boards
 

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > General

General General BS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 08-08-2018, 07:18 PM
coop74's Avatar
coop74 coop74 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Alcoa TN
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW View Post
For winch rope I'd contact Steve at Southeast Overland - he's a good source for all things rope related.
i second that recommendation... also even with synthetic i am a fan of a new roller fairing.
__________________
Robert "Coop" Cooper
99 Discover 2
2014 Nissan Frontier 4X4 LWB Crew Cab
2003 KLR 650
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:51 PM
jymmiejamz's Avatar
jymmiejamz jymmiejamz is offline
KN4JHI
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 5,227
I got my rope from Custom Splice. It took forever to arrive, but he sent me a cheaper line to hold me over while I waited for what I wanted. I got 100' Amsteel Blue with an Excel hook and built in sliding chaff guard. His price was the best from my searching.
__________________
@carcampingcollective
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-08-2018, 10:02 PM
fishEH's Avatar
fishEH fishEH is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lake Villa, IL
Posts: 6,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Like the larger radius, don?t like the price or the gay logos. Amazon has plain Jane milled Al hawse with no drama for $20.
Turn it upside down.
Sure they're pricey but so is a $300 winchline.
__________________
'98 D1 Trail Rig. Lockers and whatnot. Retired
'96 D1 Daily Driver. OME lift, 235/85/16 Toyo AT's.
'95 D1 Project Truck.
'94 D1 Too good to pass up. OME lift, 265/75/16 BFG AT's, Detroit/TruTrac, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
No matter how hard you stir it you won't make chocolate ice cream out of a bucket of shit
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-08-2018, 10:55 PM
Jimmy's Avatar
Jimmy Jimmy is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 532
I kept my roller fairlead after switching to synthetic... but I swapped out the metal rollers for polyurethane. No complaints.
__________________
'94 D1 manual offroaded
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-09-2018, 07:29 AM
garrett's Avatar
garrett garrett is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Middleburg, VA
Posts: 10,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Like the larger radius, don?t like the price or the gay logos. Amazon has plain Jane milled Al hawse with no drama for $20.
$20!!! I was gonna see what I have lying around in my barn, as I always have some extra gear lying around. I put a new motor on my old EP9 and am waiting to install that on a personal truck so to speak. Might just toss on my Prado and call it good. Were some of my favorite winches. Though they are just pretty basic winches made by Come-Up.
__________________
www.blackdogmobility.com
1999 Land Rover Discovery
1988 Toyota Bundera
1992 Toyota Prado
1991 Toyota Hilux
1991 Toyota Surf
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
1997 Toyota 4Runner
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1993 Mad River Explorer
1996 Thoroughbred
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-09-2018, 01:56 PM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,194
Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
Turn it upside down.
Sure they're pricey but so is a $300 winchline.
But then can I only winch if my truck is upside down?
__________________
Blue
2004 D2
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-09-2018, 02:03 PM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,194
Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
$20!!! I was gonna see what I have lying around in my barn, as I always have some extra gear lying around. I put a new motor on my old EP9 and am waiting to install that on a personal truck so to speak. Might just toss on my Prado and call it good. Were some of my favorite winches. Though they are just pretty basic winches made by Come-Up.
Check 'em out....it's just a milled block of aluminum.

I like the thicker ones with bigger radius but not sure if they are worth 5 X as much...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A27O6OG9D25ZXF


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2D5NUV3A91FLQ


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A37TO91FR7L9R8
__________________
Blue
2004 D2
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-09-2018, 02:24 PM
CORover's Avatar
CORover CORover is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Check 'em out....it's just a milled block of aluminum.

I like the thicker ones with bigger radius but not sure if they are worth 5 X as much...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A27O6OG9D25ZXF


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2D5NUV3A91FLQ


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A37TO91FR7L9R8
No wonder we have a huge trade imbalance with China!
__________________
96 Disco - Heavily Modified but not done yet
00 Range Rover - Mostly Stock
00 Range Rover - Mostly Dead
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-09-2018, 02:34 PM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,194
Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by jymmiejamz View Post
I got my rope from Custom Splice. It took forever to arrive, but he sent me a cheaper line to hold me over while I waited for what I wanted. I got 100' Amsteel Blue with an Excel hook and built in sliding chaff guard. His price was the best from my searching.
I'm diggin the custom splice website. They have everything. Nice fairleads too.
__________________
Blue
2004 D2
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-09-2018, 02:37 PM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,194
Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by CORover View Post
No wonder we have a huge trade imbalance with China!
Yeah, no shit...LOL. I'll gladly pay a place like Custom Splice a bit more ($50 for a basic hawse fairlead) vs. China. The only problem is that I hate all company logos! Custom Splice has a $75 double-thick, larger radius with their logo on top so I could just flip it.
__________________
Blue
2004 D2
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-09-2018, 10:38 PM
jymmiejamz's Avatar
jymmiejamz jymmiejamz is offline
KN4JHI
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 5,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Yeah, no shit...LOL. I'll gladly pay a place like Custom Splice a bit more ($50 for a basic hawse fairlead) vs. China. The only problem is that I hate all company logos! Custom Splice has a $75 double-thick, larger radius with their logo on top so I could just flip it.
I should add that with CS most people would have felt like they were being scammed. Todd, the owner, was difficult to communicate with (not responding across multiple platforms) but did eventually deliver what I asked for, and then some. Not once during the whole time did I feel like he was going to pull a KVT. He came recommended by a few Land Rover friends and is well respected on Pirate. I had a somewhat bad experience (not the only one), but in the end it worked out. Assuming I was in no rush, I would probably order from him again.
__________________
@carcampingcollective
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-09-2018, 11:05 PM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,194
Member Trucks
I have an email inquiry into CS to see when their 3/8 is back in stock. I may just go with 80’ of 7/16. And a double thick Fairlead.
__________________
Blue
2004 D2
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-09-2018, 11:18 PM
kennith kennith is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 9,207
That length would be a good move, in my opinion.

I don't like them any longer than 80 feet. The shorter, the better. Think of the most common distance you've used the winch, and get close to that.

Most will realize they can probably get away with even less than 80 feet, but that length does allow some rigging when required.

It's not just about the gearing results of the wrap count. While it's not as big of a deal with synthetic, re-wrapping is a pain in the ass. No matter how careful you are, you're going to end up having to spool out and back in sometimes.

Weight is a problem, as well, but not with synthetic unless you're trying to shave every ounce.

If you're using snatch blocks constantly, yeah; the longer runs are worth the trouble. If not, though, it's just extra crap in the way.

Cheers,

Kennith
__________________
Life is too serious to be taken seriously.

Dan Chapman is a coward. I own a magical island.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-10-2018, 12:47 AM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,194
Member Trucks
Out here we have a severe lack of trees so length can be crucial to get you to an anchor. I?m not a boulder field rock crawling winch fest kind of guy, I installed a winch so that I can go wherever the hell I please, solo, and get myself out of trouble if needed. Now that I think about it, I better go with 100? or at least 80? and a good 30? extension. I always have a 30? tow strap with me although it?s beat to hell and more like 25?. Better get another while I?m at it. I went to Salt Lake City yesterday to do a job and at the last minute a buddy asked me to check on something for him in American Fork and he threw me $500. So that found money will fund some good recovery gear at no real expense to me. Yeah, I like the sound of that.
__________________
Blue
2004 D2
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-10-2018, 03:19 AM
kennith kennith is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 9,207
I'm with you on the use case. If I have to use the winch, I've done something wrong. The objective is to get somewhere, or get nowhere, and attempt to avoid obstacles likely to bog me down.

That being the case, though, I find myself using it for utility purposes quite often. It happens in the middle of nowhere, as well. Landscaping, moving logs, repairing bridges, drying clothes... Hell, I've recovered countless vehicles, but I can count the times I've winched myself around on one hand.

Synthetic minimizes all the drawbacks of extra length except having to walk farther on occasion, though.

Cheers,

Kennith
__________________
Life is too serious to be taken seriously.

Dan Chapman is a coward. I own a magical island.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-10-2018, 10:30 PM
jymmiejamz's Avatar
jymmiejamz jymmiejamz is offline
KN4JHI
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 5,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Out here we have a severe lack of trees so length can be crucial to get you to an anchor. Now that I think about it, I better go with 100?
I was glad to have 100' last weekend. I was in a pretty tight spot that I felt I need to winch to avoid going over. To get a straight line pull I needed probably 90' of the winch line. there was a good size clearing after this hill climb. I'm actually going to make the first rope Custom Splice sent me into two extensions. Based on my youtube research, it is pretty easy to splice winch rope.





__________________
@carcampingcollective
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-11-2018, 02:51 PM
fishEH's Avatar
fishEH fishEH is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lake Villa, IL
Posts: 6,120
I've got 80 or 85 ft of 3/8"synthetic on my winch. I also keep a 50ft sythetic extension in my truck, along with a 30ft strap and 30ft kinetic rope. And an 8ft tree strap. As Kenny mentioned, one consideration with 100ft of line is side pulls where it will be bunching up on one side.
__________________
'98 D1 Trail Rig. Lockers and whatnot. Retired
'96 D1 Daily Driver. OME lift, 235/85/16 Toyo AT's.
'95 D1 Project Truck.
'94 D1 Too good to pass up. OME lift, 265/75/16 BFG AT's, Detroit/TruTrac, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
No matter how hard you stir it you won't make chocolate ice cream out of a bucket of shit
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-11-2018, 03:15 PM
jymmiejamz's Avatar
jymmiejamz jymmiejamz is offline
KN4JHI
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 5,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
As Kenny mentioned, one consideration with 100ft of line is side pulls where it will be bunching up on one side.
You really shouldn't be doing side pulls with a synthetic line. I've seen a couple break doing that. They both had aluminum hawse fairleads.
__________________
@carcampingcollective
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-11-2018, 07:51 PM
kennith kennith is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 9,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
I've got 80 or 85 ft of 3/8"synthetic on my winch. I also keep a 50ft sythetic extension in my truck, along with a 30ft strap and 30ft kinetic rope. And an 8ft tree strap. As Kenny mentioned, one consideration with 100ft of line is side pulls where it will be bunching up on one side.
Yeah, that's irritating as hell.

Cheers,

Kennith
__________________
Life is too serious to be taken seriously.

Dan Chapman is a coward. I own a magical island.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-11-2018, 07:58 PM
fishEH's Avatar
fishEH fishEH is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lake Villa, IL
Posts: 6,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jymmiejamz View Post
You really shouldn't be doing side pulls with a synthetic line. I've seen a couple break doing that. They both had aluminum hawse fairleads.
Not a 90 degree side pull. But even a 30-45 degree pull to one side or the other can cause line to bunch.
__________________
'98 D1 Trail Rig. Lockers and whatnot. Retired
'96 D1 Daily Driver. OME lift, 235/85/16 Toyo AT's.
'95 D1 Project Truck.
'94 D1 Too good to pass up. OME lift, 265/75/16 BFG AT's, Detroit/TruTrac, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
No matter how hard you stir it you won't make chocolate ice cream out of a bucket of shit
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-11-2018, 10:24 PM
jymmiejamz's Avatar
jymmiejamz jymmiejamz is offline
KN4JHI
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 5,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
Not a 90 degree side pull. But even a 30-45 degree pull to one side or the other can cause line to bunch.
I've seen two break and they were probably 45* pulls.
__________________
@carcampingcollective
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:14 AM
fishEH's Avatar
fishEH fishEH is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lake Villa, IL
Posts: 6,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jymmiejamz View Post
I've seen two break and they were probably 45* pulls.
Weird. Do you know what kind of line and fairlead?
__________________
'98 D1 Trail Rig. Lockers and whatnot. Retired
'96 D1 Daily Driver. OME lift, 235/85/16 Toyo AT's.
'95 D1 Project Truck.
'94 D1 Too good to pass up. OME lift, 265/75/16 BFG AT's, Detroit/TruTrac, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
No matter how hard you stir it you won't make chocolate ice cream out of a bucket of shit
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-12-2018, 12:46 PM
jymmiejamz's Avatar
jymmiejamz jymmiejamz is offline
KN4JHI
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 5,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
Weird. Do you know what kind of line and fairlead?
Definitely aluminum hawse fairleads, but no idea what brand. I think the most recent one was Amsteel Blue, but I may be wrong. IMO, it is user error that caused the failure.
__________________
@carcampingcollective
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-13-2018, 11:15 AM
Blueboy's Avatar
Blueboy Blueboy is offline
Keyboard Pounder II
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Posts: 1,869
Member Trucks
Pull Pal is your friend.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW TMAX Synthetic Winch Rope Theovan22 Parts For Sale 8 10-01-2014 11:51 AM
TJM Synthetic Winch Rope Sale WNYDiscoIIErik Parts For Sale 15 04-16-2014 01:45 PM
New MP Synthetic winch line mud ruts Parts For Sale 5 11-02-2008 10:21 AM
Synthetic Winch Line nathansharkey Discovery - Technical Discussions 57 08-03-2006 03:36 PM
Synthetic Winch Line LiveAtTheEdge Discovery - Technical Discussions 36 09-25-2004 09:54 AM

» Log in
User Name Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Password
» Today's Birthdays
DeadHead86 (32)
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2000 - 2015, DiscoWeb.org. All rights reserved.

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.