intermittent no start - 3.9L (95 RRC)

corrumpu

Oct 19, 2007
Florida, USA
I posed this on defender source as well...

Over the past few months I have been working to get the gremlins out of my daily driver 1995 RRC SWB

I had a wet/morning start issue/ driving in wet weather stalling issue that was eventually resolved with a new distributor assembly from atlantic british. Prior to this I replaced my coil (lucas coil). These changes seemed to make the starting issue disappear... as they were gone for 2 months or more.

Recently I have experienced a starting issue. I haven't nailed down exactly how it gets into this configuration but alot of short trips/starting stopping seems to help. Usually is in the afternoon ( I live in florida so it's mid to upper 90s) It will crank for days but never starts. Let it sit for x amount of minutes and it will restart and drive quite happily. The next day it won't do it at all. This is my daily driver (only choice) so I'm driving it. So far it's happened 4 times within 7 days. Sometimes it takes 3 hours to restart.
Fuel pressure is within range on the rail.
Spark tester shows ONE good spark at the start of process, but goes to a weak spark (low light blinking on the tester) This was seen at the coil. It's like the ground is not strong enough.
New distributor assembly from AB within 2-3 months.
New lucas coil

I have read alot of threads about the Ignition Amplifier Module, the relocation thereof and the use of a GM IAM. Do you think this is a logical place to investigate? Are there cross reference parts available? I can't find a write up on changing to the GM IAM or how to relocate w/o the kit from AB. The current module is new, as it came with the distributor assembly.

I'm really starting to think it's heat related and I'm wondering about this IAM and the relocation of it. Anyone relocated theirs?

--chris