RAVE searchability

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I have two trucks, a D1 and a RRC. I downloaded RAVE for both as PDFs. Given the size of these documents I rely heavily on the search function to find the information I need. This works fine for my copy of RAVE for the D1, but not at all for the copy for the RRC. I use a Mac so I'm viewing them in Preview. Both have search fields, command+F activates the function, but the difference is the search turns up zero results for my RRC version and hits them all in the D1 version. Any idea why this is and how to fix it? Otherwise it's going to be lots of scrolling. The table of contents in the RRC version doesn't get too specific.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
One approach for the advanced user would be to convert the PDF to TIFFs and run them through tesseract and have tesseract output back into searchable PDF.

I am not an advanced user, however Rover ownership has led me to learn a great many things. This may soon be another. Thanks for the suggestion.

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
I've never seen a WM in true searchable pdf format prior to the 1995 model. My copy is a scan although there is an table of contents that gets you to the correct chapter (on a windows machine)

luckyjoe

Oct 10, 2004
New Jersey USA
I use Macs and never bothered with the RAVE format (seemed like a nightmare). I just harvested the PDF's and every one has been searchable. I keep WSM on my phone for whatever LR I could be driving.

EDIT: just checked the ones on my phone, the Series WSM and Parts catalogs are not searchable, but the 86-93 RRC Parts, 89-93 RRC WSM, 95RRC and all D1 pdf's are searchable.