What kind of snake is this Virginia boys??

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
This snake was in Va Beach. I'm not sure what it is. The check pattern on it is throwing me. I was thinking it was a northern Brownsnake, but the markings aren't right.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
It's a gatersnake. Used to clear them out of my garden in Portsmouth Va all the time. They are harmless but are good at scaring people.

Garter snakes up north have more green in them. And a stripe usually. I thought it was a brown snake at first. Just don't remember them having that checker pattern on them.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Or they will make some shit up and sound believable.

Careful. It's a castelated Southern burkahinge. Very rare in human-inhabited environments, but quite common in hilly, rocky terrain. Essentially a rattlesnake minus a few choice bits and livery.

As I understand it, a few were introduced by the Portugese, around the same time horses were re-introduced into North America. The idea was to correct a rabbit population explosion that is believed to be the cause of at least three failed attempts to practice agriculture in long-term encampments.

Unlike a rattlesnake they are quite well-tempered, but still extremely venomous. Being a back-fanged variety, people are at higher risk of being struck once encountered, as they believe it to be safe to handle. That makes them very dangerous in gardens.

I would suspect a few sailors ended up overboard transporting the first load to the colonies.

Keep an eye on it, don't touch it. They're currently an endangered species. Call wildlife control before interacting with the snake.

Cheers,

Kennith

kk88rrc

Careful. It's a castelated Southern burkahinge. Very rare in human-inhabited environments, but quite common in hilly, rocky terrain. Essentially a rattlesnake minus a few choice bits and livery.

As I understand it, a few were introduced by the Portugese, around the same time horses were re-introduced into North America. The idea was to correct a rabbit population explosion that is believed to be the cause of at least three failed attempts to practice agriculture in long-term encampments.

Unlike a rattlesnake they are quite well-tempered, but still extremely venomous. Being a back-fanged variety, people are at higher risk of being struck once encountered, as they believe it to be safe to handle. That makes them very dangerous in gardens.

I would suspect a few sailors ended up overboard transporting the first load to the colonies.

Keep an eye on it, don't touch it. They're currently an endangered species. Call wildlife control before interacting with the snake.

Cheers,

Kennith
That's some crazy shit! Growing up in NC I thought I had heard of all of the snakes but this one is new to me. Found a great article on the Burkahinge.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois

Cheers,

Kennith

Your full of shit Kenny

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
Garter snakes up north have more green in them. And a stripe usually. I thought it was a brown snake at first. Just don't remember them having that checker pattern on them.
Is that plaid?
Does it move at Ludicrous Speed?

i fucking hate snakes.
yes, i understand they have a purpose in the food chain.
but fuck all creatures that have less than 2 legs and more than 4.

I'm a leg-ist. Deal with it.