What is this?

Drillbit

Oct 12, 2005
Glasgow Ky
He is a question for you guru's. Is this or was it ever a Callaway? Here is what it has going for it. It's marked Callaway on both fenders and the back. Dual exhaust like the Callaway. Body moldings are painted like they were on the Callaway. It has chrome Comet Rims, I have seen those on a Callaway before. But it is Black, not a Callaway color. It doesn't have a badge on the inside like Callaway's but it looks like it might have fallen or been taken off. The big kicker is that it has a Bosch engine with none of the fancy Callaway intake stuff. So what is this abomination? Is it a Callaway someone did a bosch motor swap on? Did some moron try to make a "Callway clone"? Is it some half done frankenstein son of Solihull? What do you think?

pictures here

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
I'd put good money on it being a "clone". I worked at a MBZ/BMW/Porsche/Saab/Audi dealership when I was an undergrad, and we had plenty of customers that would come in and buy a base model, then pay us big money to make it look like the premium version. (badge engineering, trim/wheel swaps, gold plating, etc)

The motivation? No clue. 90% of the public don't know the difference. The other 10% don't give a fuck. You're only fooling yourself.

Paul Grant

Sep 8, 2004
CT
I remember back in the 1990's parking next to a guy with a pedestrian MB 300CE. The only thing was it has a V12 badge on the rear pillar. As I got out of my Range Rover I said to the guy exiting his V12 300CE, "I didn't know MB made a V12 in the E Class." He said they didn't. He only put the badge on to fuck with people like me. Huh? I also remember a guy I knew who bought a beat 740iL and did everything he could to make it look like a 750iL. Fairfield County, CT is a tough neighborhood for people trying to keep up with the Jones' on a limited budget.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
The motivation? No clue. 90% of the public don't know the difference. The other 10% don't give a fuck. You're only fooling yourself.

Pretty much everything people do to cars. Wheels, subs, tires, exhaust, stickers... No one really gives a shit. If you want to attract girls, get a Miata or 500 and a puppy.

Jan 3, 2005
On Kennith's private island
Sounds like Zak Ruck's old Callaway. Look and see if the left-rear air bag is stuck together with Right Stuff on the top. If you want all the intake stuff I'll sell it back to you. I robed it before he sold it.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Can't remember what special edition had Green carpet. I think it's the Callaway

I think it was the Holland and Holland and the anniversary edition that came out in 01 or 02 that had the green carpet.

Last edited: