Cargo box on SD rack?

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Probably not the right place for this, but has anybody mounted a cargo box(Thule/Yakima) to their SD/Voyager rack? Pics??

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I've seen it done - box mounted directly to rack without use of other crossbars. To do this successfully you'll need a box that has adjustable spread for the mounting clamps so they match up with your SD floor bars. Yakima has a slick system to achieve this (see photo below), I'm sure Thule does, as well. The end result looks okay. What's your purpose? To be able to leave stuff on your roof with a modest level of security? You're looking at about 140 pounds on your roof between the rack and the box - both empty.

These are the Yakima clamps that adjust fore-aft and fit around different size bars:

17120248890_f6cdce9c87_c.jpg

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
2 week trip to Colorado, 2 adults and 3 kids.
My initial plan was to use my Thule super high gutter feet and load bars to mount my Yakima Skybox to. I would also be mounting my awning to the gutter feet. Like this...

But my red truck came with a SD rack so I started thinking it might be nice to mount the box to the rack and still have some rack space open if I want to pick up some firewood or put something else up there.

The Yakima Skybox is definitely coming as I want the waterproof storage for bulky items lile tent, sleeping bags, etc.
Only question is Thule bars or SD rack???