Srs ecu

mapman97

May 31, 2009
DFW, Texas
2003 Land Rover Discovery

Hey All,

My SRS comes and goes.

North Texas British told me my Air Bag Control Module is shot. Is this the same as a SRS ECU from Rover Land Parts for $95. If yes, is it plug and play? I assume that the battery negative terminal should be disconnected before work begins. I know that it is located under the electronic window controls.

Thanks and will sum.

Answers:
They used an oversized iPad looking scanner to pull the error code.
The vehicle has never been wrecked, I am the 2nd owner.
My scanner, Autel 619 with ABS, didn't show error codes, but theirs did and I did not ask for the code, my oversight.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2004
Floyd, Virginia
Not a typical failure item but he definitely didn't take it to some Jiffy Lube down the street. They are a reputable shop and I am sure they didn't just blindly toss a dart at the board.

mapman97

May 31, 2009
DFW, Texas
Hey all,

I wanted to give you guys an update. I had to change the SRS ecu myself, because the two shops would not touch it. To much liability or something. I removed the center console, but there are other threads detailing how to get to that point. The hardest part was yanking the gear shift out. Block the rig, put it in neutral, press the button and pull like you have never pulled before. It will come out. After that, I disconnected the battery for 20 minutes. Then, I disconnected the cable from the ecu very carefully. Removed the defective part and replaced it with a $95 part from Roverland Parts, with a 6 month warranty. I connected the cable very carefully and it has a little clip that locks it into the SRS ecu. I reconnected the battery and turned it on. No SRS light for around 4 weeks now. I am still driving with no center console. What a pain.

Thanks again,

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
That would be a very unusual failure. Has your vehicle been wrecked?
Jimmy,

my SRS light has been on for the last 3 or 4 years, occasionally right or left side blinking. The truck has never been in an accident, and the controller won't talk to the diagnostic equipment.
So it does happen.