98 disco gear rattling coming from somewhere?

DISCO GUY

Dec 7, 2007
My 98 has started not a grinding sound but like the axel shafts are bouncing around the housing ? If I'm at a low speed under 30mph and let off the gas I get the sound. Highway speeds no sound . I took my entire front axle apart to see if anything was damaged . Everything looked ok so I put it back together. There's a little play in the shaft that runs the front wheels could that be something? My transmission will not always stay in park . I use the e brake when parked... don't know if that's related or a separate issue . Anyway I'm lost at what to checkout next
Transfer case ? Transmission ? How can I tell if they are bad ? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

mearstrae

Mar 15, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'd check for play in the front drive shaft, if it breaks it will most likely take out your transmission. If there is any wiggle or excess play while turning by hand, change it right away. (My wife lost the tranny in her D2, after the "squeek" she heard developed into a vibration.) The no Park may be in the transmission adjustment at the cable on the x-y switch.

DISCO GUY

Dec 7, 2007
There's play in the drive shaft but it's not the shaft itself. Should there be any play? Thanks for the info!

Va_Disco

Dec 22, 2014
Hampton Roads, Va.
You can expect some slack in the transfer case and the diff allowing you to turn the drive shaft a bit. But you want to make sure the U-joints are good.

Va_Disco

Dec 22, 2014
Hampton Roads, Va.
I had a strange gear rattle sound before my transmission went out. It was intermittent and got worse with time, ended up sounding like something grinding against the flywheel right before the transmission stopped working.

DISCO GUY

Dec 7, 2007
If I give it gas then let it coast the noise starts . But if it's under power or braking the sound can be controlled.

Va_Disco

Dec 22, 2014
Hampton Roads, Va.
And you have checked for play in the U-joints front and rear? You know what your looking for as far as the play? How about wheel bearings? other wise diffs could make that noise but I would think it would be a constant noise if it was the diff.

Davis31052

Apr 11, 2017
Georgia
Could be a bad pinion gear bearing. Under load the pinion gear would engage fully into the ring gear. Under no load, the pinion could back out a bit and cause gear noise. Just my 2 cents. Let us know what you find.

DISCO GUY

Dec 7, 2007
I will look into it ! I will pull the rear a part . The front seemed fine. Thanks for all your input !