Disco 5: Let the depression set in

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
http://europe.autonews.com/article/20170623/ANE/170629936?template=mobile02

Automotive News Europe
June 23, 2017 06:01 CET

BARCELONA -- The new Land Rover Defender has been designed to attract both owners of the recently discontinued model as well as a new generation of buyers, said the brand's design boss, Gerry McGovern.

The new Defender is "not far away," McGovern said. He declined to give more detailed timing.

"The anticipation is incredible," McGovern told the audience at the Automotive News Europe Congress in Barcelona on Wednesday.

UK media reports say the new Defender will be launched in 2018.

The Defender was axed last year after a production run that extended more than 60 years. Its rugged, boxy design and off-road capabilities made it an icon.

McGovern said the new model's appearance will keep an emotional connection to the previous generation but it will not just be a "facsimile" updated to meet modern legislation. To win new buyers, the SUV must appeal to a new generation, he said.

The original Defender's rugged design became iconic.

The longevity of the old Defender, which traced its roots back to the original Land Rover launched in 1948, was a challenge for McGovern when joined in 2006 to oversee design at the brand.

"This was a vehicle that for a very long time was the emotional core of our brand. In order to move our brand forward we need to create desirable and relevant vehicles to appeal to a wider group of customers," he said.

McGovern said the new Defender would still be a tough vehicle like the original. "You'll be able kick the hell out of them and they'll get up for more."

My take - they are making a car for millennials.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Looks like a toy.

Still looks better than this Cheetah/Big mouth bass abortion:
2015_Toyota_TRDPro_4Runner_007_58928_42747_low.jpg

Can't believe people buy those things. It's either designed for idiots, or designed by one.

God damn it's ugly.

Fuck just look at those headlights. Are they trying to escape? Are they wings?

Are those vents on the front sides? They look like black tears from a Hot Topic ad.

What's up with the massive dumpy frown? Why is it complaining every time I look at it?
celebrity-frown-doctor-who.jpg

The side is trying to convince us it's a plucky late 90's pickup.

The back is trying to be a soccer mom's Highlander. Fuck make up your mind mind! You're all goth operator in the front, and pussy in the back!

It's too skinny. It'd look better flipped on it's side which doesn't appear too difficult.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
So Autocar has put this drawing up on their website - sort of a rehash of what we've seen with the addition of Discovery 5 headlights. Would this be something you guys would go for?

I saw that red one a year or two ago. It is a crappy photoshop job. Someone pointed out that the reflections in the front bumper are the exact same as some other rover pic at one of the big auto shows.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ

I don't understand why Toyota moved the plastic headlights and taillights way outboard on their offroad models. I'd break that shit to pieces in a second. Fuck function, it's all about the form.

JackW

Mar 17, 2005
I don't understand why Toyota moved the plastic headlights and taillights way outboard on their offroad models. I'd break that shit to pieces in a second. Fuck function, it's all about the form.

So they can sell a lot of extremely expensive head and tail light assemblies - as Henry Ford once said back in the days of the Model T - if I get the parts and service business I can just about give the cars away for free.

Every time I see one of the 4-Runners in traffic I wonder about those tail lights...

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
I'm still holding out hope, but not anticipating it being fulfilled. I honestly don't like the 4Runner anymore because of the catfish open mouth front. I started really digging the LR4 then they fudged that. The only thing I really think I could actually bring myself to buy is the upcoming Wrangler pickup. I saw a brute pickup at the Reno airport last night. They look good with the extra back end compared to the unlimited.

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
I just found out the 4Runner is made in 2wd. Seriously? The 2Runner?

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Tahoe Z71:
Respectable boxy design
Generous room
4X4
Two-speed transfer case
V8
8600lb tow rating
18" wheels
Duratrac tires OEM
Basic or luxury options
Less than $60k

Not perfect, but not bad..

Last edited:

rover4x4

Apr 21, 2004
North Carolina, Raleigh
So they can sell a lot of extremely expensive head and tail light assemblies - as Henry Ford once said back in the days of the Model T - if I get the parts and service business I can just about give the cars away for free.

Every time I see one of the 4-Runners in traffic I wonder about those tail lights...

my boss backed his into a tree here at the office, took out the taillight big byucks to replace at the dealer...

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Tahoe Z71:
Respectable boxy design
Generous room
4X4
Two-speed transfer case
V8
8600lb tow rating
18" wheels
Duratrac tires OEM
Basic or luxury options
Less than $60k

Not perfect, but not bad..

I know a few guys that have modified their late model Tahoe's. I'd never do it as it's just too damn big, but then again I have a handful of trucks I can use whenever I like. I love my Tahoe in stock form. Drives nice as hell, quiet, holds a shit load, tows very nice, unassuming, DVD and comfy for a 6-3 dude. I'd never consider it an off road vehicle though - but then again Border Patrol does.

Now the Tacoma - I'd buy a new one of those in a heart beat. Nice looking, damn reliable and very capable truck - even in stock form.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Bump...

I took delivery late Friday afternoon of my new D5 diesel - this thing is amazingly quiet. The LR3 is going up for sale now that the new car is here.

I've got a friend looking at the new Disco. Jack - how do you like yours now that you've had it 6+ months?

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
I'm sure he'll say it's a really great car. It's comfortable and trendy, like driving around in an REI store on wheels.