97 D1 bad starter?

mrbieler

Sep 15, 2004
Lost Angeles
Just want to check in before I drop $200 on a new starter to see what else I could check or I'm missing.

Truck starts every time, but it's very slow for the 2~3 seconds and then the starter comes up to speed and it fires up. Sounds strained and tired and then roars to life.

Battery is about a year old.

12.5~12.7V at battery
13.8V at battery at idle
10.4V at battery when cranking

12.5~12.7V at solenoid terminal/starter ground system off.

Have not had a second set of hands yet to turn the key while I check the voltage at starter when cranking.

My inclination is a worn starter motor as the solenoid sounds like it's engaging immediately.

What's the group think?

Bad starter or look for something else?

Get it rebuilt, $199 for a new starter, or $225 for one from britishstarters.com?

4Runner

May 24, 2007
Boise Idaho
I agree with the above post. Check all your starter related connections. What condition are the main cables from the battery to the starter and the ground cable and connections. Could be the condition of the cables themselves. On the other hand if your starter has 200k on it then you have gotten your money's worth. But If you have a bad cable or connection than the new starter won't be any better than your current one.

mrbieler

Sep 15, 2004
Lost Angeles
Yanked the starter. Pulled and cleaned the ground strap and connections. Jumped the starter outside the vehicle. Everything works as it should. Just seems to really lack any torque. Pinion pops in and out so the solenoid is doing it's job.

Put it back in cleaned up and it's still a weak turn over for revolutions before the truck fires up.

It's a 10 year old aftermarket one. Original one broke a pinion gear.

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
That's a darn nice price! I've had a Parts Player 120amp alternator in my 98 D1 for over a year now. Zero complaints. I installed a D2 starter I got for cheap on my 98 D1.

Papillon

Dec 19, 2005
I have a starter in stock, but I can't beat that price. What I can do is beat their tech help and customer service.

All with my "no questions, just be patient until I order in a replacement for you" warranty policy!

Excellent tech support, customer service, and warranty policies are many times underappreciated until you really need them, and then, they are priceless.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Brushes. Mine did the same thing like the battery was low. Repair shop put new brushes in it, no problems.

mrbieler

Sep 15, 2004
Lost Angeles
Yeah. Bad brushes. Unfortunately, when we had it on the test rig at Pep Boys, it fried itself and did even more damage. Wasn't their fault.
It would have happened on the truck away from home which would have been worse. New starter is en route.

mrbieler

Sep 15, 2004
Lost Angeles
Took the starter apart. Lots of grease and crud around the brushes. They were worn down below 2mm. Two were all the way down to the braided wire. I'm sure the contact was very weak and causing shorts. Smoke may been caused there with the grease and oil as the copper coils on the armature look OK, but there is some pitting on the copper connections to the brushes as they wore down.

Unfortunately, it looks like you can't just replace the brushes. It's an assembly. Found some out of the UK for about $25 delivered. Figured it is worth a few bucks to see if it can be salvaged as a back up. Should have the part in a few weeks. US Vendor on eBay wanted over $100 for it.

STC4465.jpg

Last edited:

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
FYI, it is always good to check you grounds. I always do a voltage drop test of the ground circuit. Basically set your DVOM to volts, put one lead on the negative battery terminal, and one lead on the block. Crank the engine and note the voltage. You should ideally see less than .5V. If you see, for example, 12V, your ground is very bad.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
It took a starter and generator shop near me less than an hour to replace the brushes so something in there is replaceable