A-Pillar mounted Light Bar? - DiscoWeb Message Boards
DiscoWeb Message Boards
 

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Technical Boards > Discovery - Technical Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
Vegas99D1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 110
Default A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

Has anyone mounted a light bar to their A-Pillars?

I found this Craigslist Ad:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/5989175287.html

I texted the owner and he was nice enough to answer my questions about it even though I was not interested in buying the truck.

He said he used the light bar mounts for a Jeep XJ Cherokee & Comanche Windshield Mounting Brackets for 50" LED Light Bar. Also, he used a 54" curved light bar.

Check out the Craigslist ad above to see the pics.
__________________
99 D1 SD
Vegas99D1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
Tugela
Member
 
Tugela's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,304
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

That's a great looking truck, other than the minor body damage. Good price for it, too, assuming rust is not an issue (wishful thinking?).

A neighbor of mine has A-pillar mounted LED light bar on his Wrangler. The brackets look like they might have been a factory option, but obviously his is straight across given the shape of the windscreen.
__________________
"Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing,
once they have exhausted the alternatives." Winston Churchill


1998 Discovery LSE
Global Exploration and Recovery, LLC
Tugela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
EricTyrrell
Keyboard Pounder II
 
EricTyrrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Darien Gap
Posts: 1,883
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

__________________
07 D3, 97 D1
EricTyrrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:34 AM   #4
Vegas99D1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 110
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

I've been wanting to do this as i don't have a roof rack and don't like the Terrafirma light bar setup:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-D...-/301868099112
__________________
99 D1 SD
Vegas99D1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:18 AM   #5
Hubacek
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 85
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas99D1 View Post
Has anyone mounted a light bar to their A-Pillars?

I found this Craigslist Ad:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/5989175287.html

I texted the owner and he was nice enough to answer my questions about it even though I was not interested in buying the truck.

He said he used the light bar mounts for a Jeep XJ Cherokee & Comanche Windshield Mounting Brackets for 50" LED Light Bar. Also, he used a 54" curved light bar.

Check out the Craigslist ad above to see the pics.
How long was the ad on this truck posted? It's already deleted; how fast did he sell this thing? Wish I could have seen the pics so I can know where mine needs to be
Hubacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:57 AM   #6
MM3846
Member
 
MM3846's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 805
Member Trucks
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

I made a mount out of some angle iron. It isn't the prettiest but you couldn't even see it after you mounted the light bar.



__________________
95 D1
MM3846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:51 AM   #7
Vegas99D1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 110
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubacek View Post
How long was the ad on this truck posted? It's already deleted; how fast did he sell this thing? Wish I could have seen the pics so I can know where mine needs to be
Here are some pics:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...lights%203.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...lights%202.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...Lights%201.jpg
__________________
99 D1 SD
Vegas99D1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:52 AM   #8
Vegas99D1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 110
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

MM - what size light bar is that? Also, do you have any pics of how the light disperses from inside the truck?
__________________
99 D1 SD
Vegas99D1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:51 AM   #9
MM3846
Member
 
MM3846's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 805
Member Trucks
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas99D1 View Post
MM - what size light bar is that? Also, do you have any pics of how the light disperses from inside the truck?
42" from olympus off road. got it a few years ago before $99 eBay ones were a thing.

this is the best sort of pic I have... when it was on my Jeep.

__________________
95 D1
MM3846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #10
rovercanus
Member
 
rovercanus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,924
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

Did that wake all the inmates in the asylum?
__________________
I'm playin' nut!
Ban Dan
Zombie Apocalypse...It's coming!
rovercanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:56 AM   #11
Ed Cheung
Senior Wannabe
 
Ed Cheung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,552
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

A few of those can light up the whole football field.
__________________
Ed
98 Disco I=> Gone
96 E39 Supercharged 540i6MT
Ed Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #12
Vegas99D1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 110
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

MM - Do you get a lot of glare off the hood when you turn on the lights?
__________________
99 D1 SD
Vegas99D1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #13
jymmiejamz
Member
 
jymmiejamz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 4,740
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

This is the best place to mount a light bar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trash_Can.jpg (152.5 KB, 1 views)
__________________
@carcampingcollective
jymmiejamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #14
MM3846
Member
 
MM3846's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 805
Member Trucks
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas99D1 View Post
MM - Do you get a lot of glare off the hood when you turn on the lights?
Not really. It was far enough back on the roof. The glare off of road signs is worse than any hood glare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymmiejamz View Post
This is the best place to mount a light bar.
Unless you live where there is no light, and I mean NO light, these huge ones are pretty much useless. When I drove cross country there were a few time where using it would have been nice, but upgraded headlights and a pair of 100W Hellas on the roof were just as good. Not like I could out drive them in an old Jeep, and I think those Hellas had a farther throw. LEDs are nice because of the low power consumption and they just DUMP light, if that's what you want.

A 24" high quality, aim-able bar on the bumper is a much better option than a huge cheap one on the roof. Even then, the first thing that should be done is upgrade your car's stock headlights. And after that, a set of GOOD amber fog beams. Then maybe think about aux driving lights.
__________________
95 D1
MM3846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:16 PM   #15
jymmiejamz
Member
 
jymmiejamz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 4,740
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM3846 View Post

Unless you live where there is no light, and I mean NO light, these huge ones are pretty much useless. When I drove cross country there were a few time where using it would have been nice, but upgraded headlights and a pair of 100W Hellas on the roof were just as good. Not like I could out drive them in an old Jeep, and I think those Hellas had a farther throw. LEDs are nice because of the low power consumption and they just DUMP light, if that's what you want.

A 24" high quality, aim-able bar on the bumper is a much better option than a huge cheap one on the roof. Even then, the first thing that should be done is upgrade your car's stock headlights. And after that, a set of GOOD amber fog beams. Then maybe think about aux driving lights.
My issue with light bars is that they look ridiculous. I won't argue that they put out a shit ton of light. I'd much rather have a pair or two of Hella Rallye 4000's, which would be more than adequate.
__________________
@carcampingcollective
jymmiejamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #16
MM3846
Member
 
MM3846's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 805
Member Trucks
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymmiejamz View Post
My issue with light bars is that they look ridiculous. I won't argue that they put out a shit ton of light. I'd much rather have a pair or two of Hella Rallye 4000's, which would be more than adequate.
They can. But so can regular lights if you mount them like an asshole.
__________________
95 D1
MM3846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:54 AM   #17
K-rover
Member
 
K-rover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,461
Member Trucks
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymmiejamz View Post
My issue with light bars is that they look ridiculous. I won't argue that they put out a shit ton of light. I'd much rather have a pair or two of Hella Rallye 4000's, which would be more than adequate.
Here's my solution to that.
__________________
2001 D2
K-rover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #18
jymmiejamz
Member
 
jymmiejamz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 4,740
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-rover View Post
Here's my solution to that.
Are those knockoff ARB lights?
__________________
@carcampingcollective
jymmiejamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #19
K-rover
Member
 
K-rover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,461
Member Trucks
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymmiejamz View Post
Are those knockoff ARB lights?
Off course. Who in their right mind would pay $760 per light?!?!
These are 185 watt each. I believe 17,000 lumens between the two? all for right around $200.
__________________
2001 D2
K-rover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:23 PM   #20
MM3846
Member
 
MM3846's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 805
Member Trucks
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-rover View Post
Off course. Who in their right mind would pay $760 per light?!?!
These are 185 watt each. I believe 17,000 lumens between the two? all for right around $200.
CRB Chingtesity
__________________
95 D1
MM3846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:26 PM   #21
garrett
Member
 
garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Middleburg, VA
Posts: 10,664
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

Jimmy is gay and so are light bars. Buy a pair of quality 4led x 4led lights and you're good. Or buy some Chinese shit that will get moisture in and look like shit in no time. Not to mention they turn your truck into a complete abortion. Are you guys running the Baja 1000 or some shit on the weekends? I mean really - what speeds and where are you running where you need to throw that much light?
__________________
1999 Land Rover Discovery
1988 Toyota Bundera
1991 Toyota Hilux
1991 Toyota Surf
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1993 Mad River Explorer
1996 Thoroughbred
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:39 PM   #22
p m
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 13,448
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

I'm with Garrett...
D1 headlights put out close to 2k lumens each; looking straight into one three feet away is already dangerous. Now we're putting out 8 or 10 times that.

Yes, one can illuminate a football field, but anyone within 100 ft from the front of the truck will go blind.
__________________
There is a fine line between being an idiot and thinking outside the box with a touch of apathy - RobertF
p m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #23
K-rover
Member
 
K-rover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,461
Member Trucks
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

My D2 headlights are more or less useless. They work, not very well. Even with high dollar bulbs. The Hellas that came with my truck weren't any better than the headlights, actually they weren't even as bright as the headlights. The 24' light bar just made sense as far as seeing the trail at night.. and yes I do go night riding often! But I could never get used to the look of the light bar. These lights fit the bumper better IMO. I dont need that much light, but I wanted 9" round lights that dont draw a lot of power and are bright enough. These fit the bill just fine for me. Now adding a 54" bar on the roof, plus pods everywhere is annoying.
__________________
2001 D2
K-rover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #24
garrett
Member
 
garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Middleburg, VA
Posts: 10,664
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p m View Post
I'm with Garrett...
D1 headlights put out close to 2k lumens each; looking straight into one three feet away is already dangerous. Now we're putting out 8 or 10 times that.

Yes, one can illuminate a football field, but anyone within 100 ft from the front of the truck will go blind.
I run these on my KTM and have had sets on my trucks. It's all you need when running around at night via high beams. I never "got" the whole light bar thing.http://www.rigidindustries.com/produ...hting/d-series
__________________
1999 Land Rover Discovery
1988 Toyota Bundera
1991 Toyota Hilux
1991 Toyota Surf
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1993 Mad River Explorer
1996 Thoroughbred
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #25
p m
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 13,448
Default Re: A-Pillar mounted Light Bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
I run these on my KTM and have had sets on my trucks. It's all you need when running around at night via high beams. I never "got" the whole light bar thing.http://www.rigidindustries.com/produ...hting/d-series
I have two deep amber ones as my fog lights.
p m is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roof mounted light bar? fishEH Discovery - Technical Discussions 15 05-18-2010 02:47 PM
Where is your Hi-Lift mounted?? mud ruts Discovery - Technical Discussions 23 09-13-2008 05:53 PM
A Pillar gavinrobinson Discovery - Technical Discussions 6 08-20-2008 01:51 PM
A Pillar WillTN Range Rover - Technical Discussions 3 11-22-2005 07:50 PM
AT/KO's mounted backwards? rmuller Discovery - Technical Discussions 4 05-22-2004 12:23 PM

» Log in
User Name Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Password
» Today's Birthdays
Tomcatdriver (54)
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000 - 2015, DiscoWeb.org. All rights reserved.

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.