CKP wiring issue

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
While I normally will do something like a CKP replacement myself, I was in the middle of a 10 day stretch of 12-14 hour days and didn't have the time.

My mechanic called me about an issue with the wiring for the CKP. He said the wires were brittle at the harness plug and the thing "fell apart". I did a search and only found one reference to this happening but no solution. Is there a good place to splice into the harness or would I be better off replacing the engine harness completely?

Thanks!!!

Dennis

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
After digging further into the RAVE, I think my best solution is to start at the ECM and run a new set of wires to the CKP.

Does that make sense? Seems like a lot of wiring to run but the original location doesn't leave much room for splicing.

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
Sure, you can splice a new end in. If it was mine, I'd be heading to the U-pull to grab a connector with as much harness attached as I could manage. Cut it up behind the engine and you'll have feet of wiring to work with. Splicing in the current location may be tedious, but not impossible. Worst case, you can drag the ends of the remaining wire up to the top of the engine bay and feed the end of your donor harness up before splicing, heat-shrinking, and sending back down the back of the engine.

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
If I had any hair left, I'd be pulling it out right now!!! My mechanic can't find the correct colored wires for the CKP in the bulkhead wiring harness. I know they have to be there. That's the only logical place for them to get back to the ECM. Please confirm that I'm not crazy (and yeah...next time I need to do the damn work myself!!)

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Bulkhead as in going through the firewall? The ecu is on the passenger fender under the hood

Use a pin removal tool and put heat shrink over the exposed wire then reassemble. You dont have to cut wires

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Why doesn't he just remove the heat shielding and trace the wires straight from the CkPS connector? Alternatively, de-pin the broken connector and install the wires into the new connector. Some connectors are easier than others, so this might not even be a viable option.

mbrummal

Jan 23, 2009
Willow Spring, NC
The CkPS sensor wiring is a shielded cable with black outer insulation. The knock sensors use a coax wire that looks similar to it in the harness. He'll likely have to trace the CkPS wiring up from its connector.

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
Slightly off-topic, but I've found that a serendipitous effect of the 1" body lift on my D2 is that these jobs at the rear of the engine are 100% easier. Since things are so tight back there from the factory, the small increase in the amount of room seems huge. I'd do it again on my next truck just for that reason.

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
Ugh!!!! What a mess!!

We've been though the complete wiring harness at the bulkhead and can't find the correct wires. There is not a black with yellow stripe anywhere in the harness. Within an insulated group, there is a pink with black (one of the correct wires according to the factory wiring) but it is paired with a white and blue wire.

I'm about to put a torch to this stupid thing (banging head on the wall)

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
Well that didn't work!!

The wires at the female plug are black-orange-black. These are not in the harness or wiring diagram.

I'm at a complete loss. The truck has been down 3 weeks trying to sort this mess.

robert.juric

May 16, 2017
North Alabama
Have you identified the wires at the ECM? I would be tempted to just run a whole new pair of wires.

I just replaced my CkPS last week and I noticed that the clip on the harness had come off. I may be right there with you if my connection wiggles loose.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Okay, I fucked up. I just spent 20 minutes trying to figure out where I got that wiring from. Turns out the wiring diagram for a DII V8 Engine Management is shared with with TD5. Here is the correct one. Sorry!

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
Well this is not going as planned. There are not wires in going to the ECU that match the electrical manual diagram. I pulled the harness from an '03 that is at the local pick and pull. I'm going to trace wires to plugs and hope to hell that the dumb fucks at LR didn't change that also.

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
Just in case anybody has this problem in the future....

The wire is screen wrapped and contains an orange and black wire. Disregard what the RAVE tells you.

BTW...running like a champ!