for 70 yr old mom: 04 D2 vs LR3 vs Subaru Outback H6 vs Toyota ?

Rob371

Nov 29, 2016
Charlevoix, Michigan
Moms 70 and driving a D1? Do you want her to get where she's going or die trying? Living at that latitude? There are no dealers or foreign service shops. You know what up north service shops see when a rover pulls in the lot? They see shit they don't want anything to do with and if you bring it here then whoot-whoot-money-money-money-$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Do mom a favor, find a nice late model 4 runner. Brakes, tires, oil changes, and maybe 2 or three hundred thousand miles later you'll wonder why you never made the switch sooner.

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
Moms 70 and driving a D1? Do you want her to get where she's going or die trying? Living at that latitude? There are no dealers or foreign service shops. You know what up north service shops see when a rover pulls in the lot? They see shit they don't want anything to do with and if you bring it here then whoot-whoot-money-money-money-$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Do mom a favor, find a nice late model 4 runner. Brakes, tires, oil changes, and maybe 2 or three hundred thousand miles later you'll wonder why you never made the switch sooner.

LOL, "die trying"...drama much? ;)

Seriously though, it's never stranded anyone or not gone where it's been pointed in it's entire 230,000 miles. She drives slow, it has good traction, it's moose safe, etc. The D2 is same thing but better.

She's been in an area where her longest drives were maybe an hour at 50-55 mph tops and not very frequent, thus the D1 has been fine for that the last 8 yrs. Just recently it started the various annoying electrical issues.

I also posted above that I have found one reputable and rover skilled mechanic who works on them so the idea of loaning my D2 short term can work until I find the right replacement.

Do you have any Toyota year range preferences? It's simply not going to be "late model" as in newer than 2008 due to value ratio. The sweet spot seems to me in the 2003-2006 zone right now especially if finding one with lower mileage and/or single owner w/ full records.

pinkytoe69

Jan 14, 2012
minnesota
Seriously though, it's never stranded anyone or not gone where it's been pointed in it's entire 230,000 miles. She drives slow, it has good traction, it's moose safe, etc. The D2 is same thing but better.

Discos are great northern 'sota vehicles until the road salt eats them.

Rob371

Nov 29, 2016
Charlevoix, Michigan
We've had the D2 a little over a year. With the disco there's always drama it seems. :rolleyes: 114,000 miles. Since we owned it, crank sensor (first week of ownership), intermittent three amigos fixed with abs module and solenoid replacement, leaking coolant from intake, starter, intermittent SRS light which hasn't come back for a while, wiper motor, lights in heat control replaced. Registration and insurance cost more than either of my toyos, gotta run the premium in it. I had to special order wiper blades for the dang thing.

We had a huge score and found a 2007 4 runner with 34k on it, 4.7 V8. It's full time 4x4 and also has locking transfer case same as a CDL in the rovers. I was surprised at the sporty feel of it and it's actually a lot of fun in the snow. It's does have a bit more road noise than the rover particularly in the rear, and the visibility height is a little lower than the D2.

For the time being my daughter is driving the D2 in between me working out all the bugs on my weekends. We lucked out on the D2 a little because it was garage kept and didn't see any winters. It's got a couple small spots above the windshield where the paint is blistering but aside from that it's very clean and for the moment everything works, it feels safe and solid on these snow covered roads.

I recently looked at an 06 4 runner with the idea I would put my daughter in that and unload the D2. It had 212,000 on it and they dealer was around 8,000.00 on the price. The Toyotas hold their value better than most vehicle from my experience. I passed on the deal because we were too far apart.

For now the disco will be fine for around town and back and forth to school. In a couple years my daughter goes to college and I have little confidence in the disco for long distance travelling.

We did test drive an Outback, brand new. Sister in law ended up purchasing one. Now that my wife is in the 4 runner and has been on a few road trips with sister in the subaru she said she's glad we didn't get one. Much lower seating position, more road noise, and she said it just didn't feel solid on the road.

I've been in the repair industry for 30 years. Toyotas have always had a rock solid reputation. I grew up around the auto industrial areas of Michigan. My neighbors worked for pontiac, ford, GM. Aunts and uncles worked for GM and Chrysler, some cousins still do. I was always dead set against foreign cars but at this point I got sick of repairing the same shit problems on every GM vehicle. You can almost set your watch by how many miles before this or that fails. On the trail blazer I've replaced everything in the front end at 95,000 miles. Did front hubs at 45,000 and again at 95,000, plus everything else under there, ball joints, tie rods, half shaft. Had some random check engine lights and a steering angle sensor messing with the traction control. Of coarse now that is all fixed it is sitting in storage. The SS platform is actually a very nice riding vehicle and I love the power from the LS2. Just can't seem to bring myself to sell it.

My Tundra has just rolled over 160k. Literally,... brakes, tires, oil changes, serpentine belt, serviced the lube in trans, diffys, t-case, and that is it.

At this point I'm just tired of spending my spare time working on vehicles so I'm sticking with the Toyotas. I feel better knowing my wife is driving one and eventually my daughter will be.

I will say this about the 4 runner, and even a brand new tacoma I recently test drove,... Being 6'3", neither of these vehicle is ideal for long trips, similar to the disco they just aren't built for taller drivers.

pinkytoe69

Jan 14, 2012
minnesota
I will say this about the 4 runner, and even a brand new tacoma I recently test drove,... Being 6'3", neither of these vehicle is ideal for long trips, similar to the disco they just aren't built for taller drivers.

Oh that's one other thing about the GX...it's got a higher ceiling in the cabin than the 4runner. I'm 6'2" and have no issues with comfort in the front.

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
Oh that's one other thing about the GX...it's got a higher ceiling in the cabin than the 4runner. I'm 6'2" and have no issues with comfort in the front.

Yeah. I'm the same and like to put the seat up high to accomodate leg length and angle. I have driven this thing very long distances and it beats the 4Runner by a lot for comfort. Tons of space.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/ctd/d/2006-lexus-gx-470-4dr-suv-4wd/6419116469.html put her in it and see if she likes it.

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
The line up.

Thanks Rob! Great point of view.... for tall drivers you must mean the leg room in the Disco 1/2 ? The head room is great but I agree on seat slider. I have seen replacement mounts for it though. You might really like that solution. It's safer too.

Snow tires onto the D2 and mom will be fine this year and into next while I look for an ideal 2003-06 Land Cruiser which is sort of my dream for her. Great deals take time to find though.

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC

Really?! I thought they shared the same/almost body shell aside from ends and edge trim.

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
The GX is actually a Toyota Prado.

Case in point of the body's being very different is the rear door.

Ah duh! of course it is. I rarely look at these and assumed like the Land Cruiser / LX they'd be more similar but there are more differences.

Rob371

Nov 29, 2016
Charlevoix, Michigan
Yes, It's the leg room. The seats in 4 runner and tacoma are close to floor so I find my right leg raised and starts aching after a while. The disco is different. I gotta slide under the steering wheel which is a pain but my biggest bitch is the cup holder driving into the side of my knee. I don't drive it that often and my daughter likes the cup holder so it is still in there. Daughter is 5'10" though and she has commented that it's a little annoying so we will see if it stays. Wife is 5'7" and she only complains when driving the Tundra because it's like a football stadium in that thing.

I apply the same strategy you mentioned for buying. Figure out your target and wait, and be prepared to pull the trigger up when the time comes. If you run out to buy something because you want it now then you will almost certainly overpay.

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
those cup holders are only held in by couple screws you can see if twist out the insert. Just remove the left one and keep the right ;)

Rob371

Nov 29, 2016
Charlevoix, Michigan
Thanks. I have suggested it a few times but my daughter drives it the most and uses them. Could happen anyway. Few minor projects on it this weekend. Winter blades, brit part rubber floor liners, new button cover for the wiper arm spindle, replace the headlamp washer that I broke when installing fog lights last week, and of course the mandatory and frequent fluid level checks. One of the first things I learned on this forum is "It's a Rover, if it's not leaking you gotta fill it back up." :D