Lost Gears D,3,2 on 2000 D2

disco2hunter

Dec 11, 2006
Homer Glen, IL
I was driving home from work on slick rainy roads today. I left from a stop sign and had some wheel spin. When the wheels hooked up I heard a pop and lost Drive, 3rd, and 2nd gear, 1 and reverse still work fine. I have a 2000 D2 with 145k on it, I'm guessing I lost a clutch pack but wanted some input. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

disco2hunter

Dec 11, 2006
Homer Glen, IL
I've got an 04 cdl shifter in it and it's the same with the center diff locked, 1 and reverse only. I'm thinking that 4,3,2 use a combination of a failed clutch pack but not sure.

Ian Ashcroft

Jun 17, 2010
Hi try getting it rolling in 1st then putting it into 'D', if it continues to drive we know what the problem is!!. Ian Ashcroft

disco2hunter

Dec 11, 2006
Homer Glen, IL
Guys, that's it! I got it going in 1st and it shifts on it's own from there. What is it and you guys rock by the way! I've been scrambling looking at used cars and more used transmissions.

disco2hunter

Dec 11, 2006
Homer Glen, IL
OK, I found this buried but it looks like I'm SOL.

I have a 4sp ZF, when I select "D" the vehicle won't move, when I select "1" the vehicle moves off. I can then select "D" and continue to drive normally. If I stop I have to start in first again. Why?
A sprag clutch has "inverted" and will need replacing. No further damage will occur if you continue to drive but you will need to select "1" every time to start moving. A rebuild is required to correct this.

There was mention of an XYZ switch as well but probably not that lucky!

Ian Ashcroft

Jun 17, 2010
Hi there is a one way sprag clutch 'flipped' not uncommon, it is a strip and rebuild to replace the sprag clutch. See here for more info, (towards the bottom of the page).

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=51
icon9.gif

Regards Ian Ashcroft

piper109

Jul 24, 2007
West Jefferson NC
I have a transmission (104k)sitting in my garage from a diesel 5sp swap if you are interested.
Its from a 1999 D1 SD and I dont know if it will fit your D2. It was working great when I removed it. I have torque converter, cdl shifter, ECU polished wood gear shifter, basically everything.
Should you be interested, PM me.

Steve

disco2hunter

Dec 11, 2006
Homer Glen, IL
Yup, looks like different transmissions in the D1 and D2. I've been working with Will to get a used one but seems his email and phone are down. There's a couple on ebay that look pretty well priced so I might have to jump on one. My wifes already car shopping and looks like I'll need to work a load of overtime to cover what she wants. If anyone elese has one with around 75k miles at a reasonable price let me know. Thanks!