Recommendations for Synthetic Winch Line/Rope?

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I got my rope from Custom Splice. It took forever to arrive, but he sent me a cheaper line to hold me over while I waited for what I wanted. I got 100' Amsteel Blue with an Excel hook and built in sliding chaff guard. His price was the best from my searching.

Jimmy

Apr 10, 2006
Aurora, CO
I kept my roller fairlead after switching to synthetic... but I swapped out the metal rollers for polyurethane. No complaints.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Like the larger radius, don?t like the price or the gay logos. Amazon has plain Jane milled Al hawse with no drama for $20.

$20!!! I was gonna see what I have lying around in my barn, as I always have some extra gear lying around. I put a new motor on my old EP9 and am waiting to install that on a personal truck so to speak. Might just toss on my Prado and call it good. Were some of my favorite winches. Though they are just pretty basic winches made by Come-Up.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
$20!!! I was gonna see what I have lying around in my barn, as I always have some extra gear lying around. I put a new motor on my old EP9 and am waiting to install that on a personal truck so to speak. Might just toss on my Prado and call it good. Were some of my favorite winches. Though they are just pretty basic winches made by Come-Up.

Check 'em out....it's just a milled block of aluminum.

I like the thicker ones with bigger radius but not sure if they are worth 5 X as much...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F7V8GRJ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A27O6OG9D25ZXF

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075P6192Z/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2D5NUV3A91FLQ

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073W7LTG8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A37TO91FR7L9R8

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
I got my rope from Custom Splice. It took forever to arrive, but he sent me a cheaper line to hold me over while I waited for what I wanted. I got 100' Amsteel Blue with an Excel hook and built in sliding chaff guard. His price was the best from my searching.

I'm diggin the custom splice website. They have everything. Nice fairleads too.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
No wonder we have a huge trade imbalance with China!

Yeah, no shit...LOL. I'll gladly pay a place like Custom Splice a bit more ($50 for a basic hawse fairlead) vs. China. The only problem is that I hate all company logos! Custom Splice has a $75 double-thick, larger radius with their logo on top so I could just flip it.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Yeah, no shit...LOL. I'll gladly pay a place like Custom Splice a bit more ($50 for a basic hawse fairlead) vs. China. The only problem is that I hate all company logos! Custom Splice has a $75 double-thick, larger radius with their logo on top so I could just flip it.

I should add that with CS most people would have felt like they were being scammed. Todd, the owner, was difficult to communicate with (not responding across multiple platforms) but did eventually deliver what I asked for, and then some. Not once during the whole time did I feel like he was going to pull a KVT. He came recommended by a few Land Rover friends and is well respected on Pirate. I had a somewhat bad experience (not the only one), but in the end it worked out. Assuming I was in no rush, I would probably order from him again.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
I have an email inquiry into CS to see when their 3/8 is back in stock. I may just go with 80’ of 7/16. And a double thick Fairlead.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
That length would be a good move, in my opinion.

I don't like them any longer than 80 feet. The shorter, the better. Think of the most common distance you've used the winch, and get close to that.

Most will realize they can probably get away with even less than 80 feet, but that length does allow some rigging when required.

It's not just about the gearing results of the wrap count. While it's not as big of a deal with synthetic, re-wrapping is a pain in the ass. No matter how careful you are, you're going to end up having to spool out and back in sometimes.

Weight is a problem, as well, but not with synthetic unless you're trying to shave every ounce.

If you're using snatch blocks constantly, yeah; the longer runs are worth the trouble. If not, though, it's just extra crap in the way.

Cheers,

Kennith

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Out here we have a severe lack of trees so length can be crucial to get you to an anchor. I?m not a boulder field rock crawling winch fest kind of guy, I installed a winch so that I can go wherever the hell I please, solo, and get myself out of trouble if needed. Now that I think about it, I better go with 100? or at least 80? and a good 30? extension. I always have a 30? tow strap with me although it?s beat to hell and more like 25?. Better get another while I?m at it. I went to Salt Lake City yesterday to do a job and at the last minute a buddy asked me to check on something for him in American Fork and he threw me $500. So that found money will fund some good recovery gear at no real expense to me. Yeah, I like the sound of that.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I'm with you on the use case. If I have to use the winch, I've done something wrong. The objective is to get somewhere, or get nowhere, and attempt to avoid obstacles likely to bog me down.

That being the case, though, I find myself using it for utility purposes quite often. It happens in the middle of nowhere, as well. Landscaping, moving logs, repairing bridges, drying clothes... Hell, I've recovered countless vehicles, but I can count the times I've winched myself around on one hand.

Synthetic minimizes all the drawbacks of extra length except having to walk farther on occasion, though.

Cheers,

Kennith