P1316 code after an overheat

Toran

Feb 3, 2017
Ohio
Hello All,
Last week before my new radiator arrived I was out and about when the engine temp started to climb. I pulled over to cool down. When I restarted the car the check engine light came on with the error code P1316. Aside from that I now have a ticking sound, and the car doesn?t sound happy

I just did these today:
New Spark Plugs .035 Gap
New Plug Wires
A bottle Techron
Cleaned MAF
Changed the oil
Changed transmission fluid

I Cleared the engine code and it hasn't returned, but the car is running rough. It stalled a few times.
What am I missing now?
What should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 20, 2004
Floyd, Virginia
rough running and a 1316 makes me wonder about the plugs/wires more than the overheating. I would check to make sure the wires are routed correctly and that they are seated correctly as well.

Toran

Feb 3, 2017
Ohio
Thanks for the response Will,
I'll get on that tomorrow and post some results.

Toran

Feb 3, 2017
Ohio
So I checked the plugwires and everything seemed fine.
I too kit out for a test drive and it started running more rough after 10 minutes. The engine temp began to climb so I pulled over and noticed that plug wires #1 and #3 had popped off the spark plug. Re-seated the plug wires to the spark plugs and it started up but still rough, while giving only the P1316 error code. Felt like the engine was going to stall and it did a couple if times going home. I also noticed that if the truck comes to an abrupt stop it would stall out.

The new plug wires are from KOI and for the D1.
Think I need to get another set of plug wires?

Thanks

Toran

Feb 3, 2017
Ohio
Yes on the Champion Plugs.
I also have a set of Advanced Autos AutoLite plugs

Apr 20, 2004
Floyd, Virginia
I've run AutoLite on my D1 along with Champion and haven't noticed any difference.

The Champion plug tolerances were set up for the d1. The Autolite plug is a true hit or miss. I would of told him to toss Bosch plugs, NTK etc on that vehicle.

The champion has proven itself to be a great plug on the d1 for over 20 years now...

I would leave the Champions in and look at those wires first.

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
Did the ticking sound begin after a) the over-heat or after b) you swapped plugs.? if b, check the #8 plug (passenger side closest to the firewall). That plug can be difficult to seat properly if you don't have the right socket. The exhaust manifold can get in the way.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
The Champion plug tolerances were set up for the d1. The Autolite plug is a true hit or miss. I would of told him to toss Bosch plugs, NTK etc on that vehicle.

The champion has proven itself to be a great plug on the d1 for over 20 years now...

I would leave the Champions in and look at those wires first.

I've never heard anything bad about the Champs so if you're troubleshooting that'd probably be the way to go.

Toran

Feb 3, 2017
Ohio
I got STI plug wires in route. Until than I took off the new KOI plugs.

I checked plug #8 and it seemed seated properly.
Plug #5 and #7 are a pains in the butt to access.

To anyone reading this post be very cautious and do not get these 7mm plugs from KOI.

A simple tug and they can be pulled apart. I was surprised how thin the wire is inside, and yet it is still coated in another black insulation
Images below

Thanks

Toran

Feb 3, 2017
Ohio
**UPDATE**
The new plugs are scheduled for tomorrow.
I drove two miles from home and the car stalled and simply stopped. I couldn't get it started, engine wouldn't turn over. Fully charged dual batteries and it didn't click or anything, just a tiny vibration in the moment of turning the key.

Had the truck towed back home...

Help Help
What should I now be looking for now?
Help

​​​​​​​Thanks

Toran

Feb 3, 2017
Ohio
Plug wires arrived a few minutes ago.
They feel like quality and the weight is much more than the crap I previously posted.
As mentioned the Rover was towed home yesterday with a no crank condition...