I?m stumped.

Paul K

May 1, 2004
La Grande, Oregon
All:

?95 Discovery engine & auto trans in my Defender 90. Started running ?weak?, had to keep flooring it to keep up with traffic. Got steadily worse until I had to floor it in 3rd to go down hill. Ended up at 30mph on the freeway under full throttle. Pulled over & clouds of steam everywhere. Gauge never showed hot.

Mechanic (not a LR shop) diagnosed blown head gasket between 2 cyliners. Replaced head gaskets. Truck ran better, but wouldn?t shift out of first until the transmission was warmed up. Put a used transmission in.

Yesterday, it did EXACTLY the same thing again. I?m stumped. Any ideas?

I have an LC9/6L80e for it, but that won?t go in until it gets a full rebuild- which I don?t have the $50-75k for right now. I?d like to get her fixed and running but really don?t want to go through this a third time.

Any ideas welcome. Bastard of it is, I was on my way tp the Portland ABFM. Now attending in the wifes BMW.

Thanks,

Paul.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
So it overheated again?

Defender gauges are worse than disco gauges, and theres a good chance you've got a mismatch between the sending unit and gauge.

Who did the conversion and was it originally a V8 truck?

Transmission could be throttle cable needing adjustment.

got a pic of the engine bay?

pdxrovermech

Jul 3, 2009
Portland, OR
Poor timing Paul. Good call on the tranny kickdown cable. The engine? Might be toast after getting that hot. Not reading it was overheating could be from a failed sender, gauge, or loose wire. Did the heads get resurfaced on this last HG replacement? They may have warped.

Paul K

May 1, 2004
La Grande, Oregon
Update:

Fan clutch was broken, and it’s not building coolant pressure. Fan clutch is easy, coolant issue a blockage or a bad pump?

Thanks,

Paul.