300 TDI conversion alarm bypass / disable

terryjm1

Jan 23, 2011
I am in the home stretch of getting this conversion completed. When I bought the D1 it came with a V8 with a rod through the side of the block and no keyless entry FOB.

I have since installed the 300TDI with 5 speed and completely eliminated the engine control ECU, eliminated in a box out of the D1.

As it didnt come with a keyless entry FOB, I source the central locking unit with matching key FOB from Will Tillery. It works and I can lock / unlock the doors with the FOB. The problem is every time I lock it, the alarm sounds until I unlock it again.

Anyone know the best / simplest way to disable the alarm but keep the central locking?

I have read the posts about the Spider unit mod, but was hoping as I no longer have an ECU that there may be more simple and direct way to handle this.

Cut a wire or jumper a connection?

Thanks in advance!

terryjm1

Jan 23, 2011
Got a helpful phone call from Roverman2010 on Defendersource and tracked the problem to a bad hood/bonnet switch.

So, the good news is that everything now works as designed.

However, if someone knows an effective way to permanently disable the alarm system but allow continued function of the central locking with key FOB, Id like to know more.

Another step closer to getting this project on the road!