Discovery lifespan.. considering a high mileage disco

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
The Defender/Disco argument is apples to oranges. A 5k RoW Defender is going to be a hell of a lot more likely to have any rust issues in the frame than any 5k D1 or D2

Who is having that argument? This is a Disco/Disco argument. It's granny smith gasoline V8 apples to red delicious 200tdi diesel apples. A $2k 200tdi Disco from Europe or the UK that you actually inspect and ensure isn't rusted out horrendously plus $3k to get it back will be better than every other clapped out Disco somebody is selling for $5k.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
Who is having that argument? This is a Disco/Disco argument. It's granny smith gasoline V8 apples to red delicious 200tdi diesel apples. A $2k 200tdi Disco from Europe or the UK that you actually inspect and ensure isn't rusted out horrendously plus $3k to get it back will be better than every other clapped out Disco somebody is selling for $5k.

Ah, I had wrongly assumed you were talking about Defenders when you mentioned 3 door and 5 door. Your above post cleared it up. I would be interested to see how a tdi feels in a Disco. Was always a night and day difference jumping between the (relative) power in V8 Dii and 200tdi in the 90. Of course the tdi is amazing on the trail but not as enjoyable getting to there

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
I can't speak to a 200tdi Disco, but 300tdi isn't too bad. If you pick the wrong gear turning across on-coming traffic at an intersection you may leave some brown stains, but if you know which gear you need it's not too bad. I guess a 5 speed V8 you could have the same problem, though. Most noticeable joining the highway from a slow speed otherwise they're both kind of meh. Noise is the biggest difference. The V8s with stock mufflers are super quiet.

pdxrovermech

Jul 3, 2009
Portland, OR
my '98 D1 has a 300tdi w/auto and i drive around with no problems. it gets bogged down on big hill climbs, but no less than 50mph. my body has about 250k miles on it with no rust. I've sealed the sunroofs and replaced the headliner, a couple window regulators, and one latch. other than that its been great. seat heaters even still work. front seats are worn, but that can easily be remedied if i care to do so.